turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why has my federal refund amount changed after I amended my return? Why did My original return amount changed after I received it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Why has my federal refund amount changed after I amended my return? Why did My original return amount changed after I received it?

We can’t see your return but the changes might be related to the unemployment deduction if you had unemployment payments. 

My original refund was 9208 which I received. But then I had to amended it and add my other unemployment income. My amended amount is 210 but my now my original refund amount is showing 6661. My amended return says a adjustment was made on the 16th. Does that mean I will owe? i already received my refund in March for 9208. So what is this new amount of 6661?

It's up to you to compare your revised and now correct 1040 tax return and your originally filed incorrect 1040 tax return,

and then confirm that Form 1040-X is correctly reporting the difference between the two.

TurboTax has no "comparison" function to assist with this.

The PDF-fillable Form 1040-X and its instructions are available  on the IRS website under "Forms".

When filing, do not attach your old 1040 nor your revised 1040 because the Form 1040-X reflects any changes there and becomes your new tax return.

This year amending will be kind of tricky with the unemployment exclusion ... you may need to make all your corrections then complete a 1040X manually ... if you have a copy of the original return  AND the corrected 1040  then you can use the info to complete a 1040X.   This could be more complicated if the IRS has already made the  correction for the unemployment exclusion ... now column A of the 1040X must reflect the IRS changes which may not be easy to simulate in the online program.

Look at the form 1040X …

Column A should have the figures from the original return, Column C the corrected figures and Column B the differences between the other 2 which needs an explanation on page 2 of the form 1040X.

If you completed it correctly you will see an entry on either line 16 OR 18:

On line 16 should be the amount you paid with your original return. 

On line 18 should be the amount of your original refund you received.

Then you will see your extra refund on line 22 OR  the new balance due you need to pay on line 20.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies