turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lmas0602

Why does it show IRS status as unknown. But turbo tax shows pending

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I wonder the same thing everyone else from different software has gotton except who filed after me I neve had this problem with Turbo mostly every one I talk to who filed with turbo tax hadnt got accepted 

Read this

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-opens-2020-filing-season-for-individual-filers-on-jan-27

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Before the IRS starts processing returns they pull a few returns early for system testing ...not ALL early filers will be pulled early  AND  none of the returns will start processing until 1/27 even if they are accepted for processing early.  Your return will continue to be pending until the IRS either accepts or rejects the return.  ONLY after acceptance will the IRS site have any info on your return.  

IS FILING BEFORE THE IRS STARTS PROCESSING RETURNS REALLY WISE ???

Although TurboTax will  allow you to e-filed some returns as early as 1/2   they are NOT sent to the IRS.  TurboTax stores those early filed returns  until the IRS opens for business and pulls the returns for processing (Currently the start date is 1/27/20 but subject to change) ...   only then will you get an e-mail telling you if the return was accepted or rejected by the IRS.  

Only the simplest returns can be transmitted to TurboTax early.    Some forms will not be finalized until Jan 25 and some later than that.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908854-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-federal-products-exc...

Why does TurboTax allow early filing?  Because their competitors do - It is a marketing ploy to capture market share.

Filing early with TurboTax before the IRS opens  is a really BAD IDEA for many reasons...

1) If you discover something that is wrong on your return, receive a W-2 that is different, receive some other tax document that was not on the return that you filed then there is NOTHING that you can do about it other than wait to see if the IRS accepts or rejects the return after they open.  If rejected you can correct and file again, but if accepted then the only remedy is to amend which can take 4 months to process.

2) You must remember to check back after the IRS opens (or check for an e-mail) to confirm that the IRS has accepted or rejected the return.  If rejected, then it was never filed at all and must be corrected and re-filed.  Every year many taxpayers that file early, forget to check back and only discover months later that they never actually filed because if was rejected by the IRS but they had forgotten about checking back after filing with TurboTax.

3) While the IRS does conduct some pre-opening tests and does accept some returns early (ONLY for TESTING purposes), they will not actually  process those until after the official opening date.  There is a reason to test and that is to discover any problems with it's systems.  A couple of years ago a test went bad and several thousand "test" returns were lost.   The IRS was able to recover those but it delayed refunds for some by months.

There is no real advantage to file before the IRS opens  but there are several disadvantages to do so.

Refund Timing for Earned Income Tax Credit and Additional Child Tax Credit Filers   https://www.irs.gov/individuals/refund-timing

Taxpayers who claim the Earned Income Tax Credit or the Additional Child Tax Credit may experience a refund hold. According to the Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes (PATH) Act, the IRS cannot issue these refunds before mid-February. The IRS expects the first EITC/ACTC related refunds to be available in taxpayer bank accounts or on debit cards by the first week of March, if they chose direct deposit and there are no other issues with their tax return. Check Where’s My Refund for your personalized refund date.

WMR on IRS.gov and the IRS2Go app will be updated with projected deposit dates for most early EITC/ACTC refund filers by February 22. So EITC /ACTC filers will not see an update to their refund status for several days after Feb. 15.

The IRS, tax preparers and tax software will not have additional information on refund dates, so Where’s My Refund? remains the best way to check the status of a refund. Where’s My Refund? is only updated once daily, usually overnight, so you don’t need to check the status more often.

Why is my refund being held?

If you claim the EITC or ACTC on your tax return, the IRS cannot issue your refund before mid-February. The law requires the IRS to hold the entire refund — even the portion not associated with the EITC or ACTC. Like previous years, some tax refunds may be held if there are questions about the tax return or the IRS needs more information.

When will I get my refund?

The IRS expects the first EITC/ACTC related refunds to be available in taxpayer bank accounts or on debit cards by the first week of March, if they chose direct deposit and there are no other issues with their tax return. Check Where’s My Refund for your personalized refund date.

Why does it take so long for the funds to show up in my account?

It takes additional time for refunds to be processed after leaving the IRS, and for financial institutions to accept and deposit them to bank accounts and products like debit cards. Also, many financial institutions do not process payments on weekends or holidays, which can affect when refunds reach taxpayers. For EITC and ACTC filers, the three-day holiday weekend involving President’s Day affects their refund timing.

How do I check the status of my refund?

WMR on IRS.gov and the IRS2Go app will be updated with projected deposit dates for most early EITC/ACTC refund filers by February 22. So EITC /ACTC filers will not see an update to their refund status for several days after Feb. 15.

The IRS, tax preparers and tax software will not have additional information on refund dates, so these filers should not contact or call about refunds before the end of February.

lmas0602

No I have not gotten an answer that I believe. this has never shown up like this in the past  I have filed with Turbo tax for 10 years.  I have never seen. Unknown as a status before 

AGAIN ... the IRS is not processing ALL early filed returns YET ... official processing will not start until 1/27  so your return will remain in a PENDING status until it is accepted for processing.   SOME returns may be pulled in one of the TEST batches but not ALL will be pulled ...

IRS Announces the Start of E-File Test Batch(HUB Testing) for 2020

https://refundtalk.com/irs-announces-the-start-of-e-file-test-batchhub-testing-for-2020/

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies