Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

clee0953

I received a letter from the IRS,they are holding my refund for 60 day to review my taxes and I might get something or I might not. What went wrong? 2016.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I received a letter from the IRS,they are holding my refund for 60 day to review my taxes and I might get something or I might not. What went wrong? 2016.

Actually probably nothing went wrong. 

IRS is under a lot of scrutiny to make sure the refunds are correct and the right person is getting the refund. 

IRS has issued refunds to many that should not have gotten them.

So there are checking refunds that are going out more closely than they have in the past.  In some cases they contact the employer to double check the W-2's, and in other's they do checks to try to make sure you are, who you say you are.

I would not worry, just be patient and they will contact you if they need additional information. 

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Actually probably nothing went wrong. 

IRS is under a lot of scrutiny to make sure the refunds are correct and the right person is getting the refund. 

IRS has issued refunds to many that should not have gotten them.

So there are checking refunds that are going out more closely than they have in the past.  In some cases they contact the employer to double check the W-2's, and in other's they do checks to try to make sure you are, who you say you are.

I would not worry, just be patient and they will contact you if they need additional information. 

lee843

The rumor is if you used turbo tax they automatically hit you with this and if you went elsewhere you would have gotten your return by now
lee843

Definately, they messed up a little last year but this year they really screwed it up, I am taking my past returns to get looked at to see if they messed those up too

Turbo Tax is a self prepared return.  It has no way of knowing or checking that you entered something wrong or in the wrong place or entered something twice  Or left something out.  It doesn't check against any outside sources.  The IRS has copies of all the W2s and 1099s your employer and banks/brokers, etc. sent in to match against.  Turbo Tax only checks the calculations of what you entered.   It is your responsibility to check it over before you file.  They only Guarantee that the calculations are right based on the entries you made.
m-stec

My entries are fine. 9th year for turbo tax. I was flagged for identity verification not math, w-2 etc. same job 11 years. I was told by turbo Tax when I called them that a lot of their clients were flagged for identity verification-
m-stec

Which leads to the 45-60 day letter
lee843

Actually you (turbo tax) take the number we put in and calculate but apparently the irs doesnt believe when turbo tax says 2+2=5

Please be more specific.

This article from last month may be of interest:
<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/03/16/tax-refund-fraud-irs-crackdown-may-ensnare-legit-tax...>

Turbo Tax does not make math errors.  The IRS changed something on your return.  
lee843

Ok sure if it makes you feel better but I think that the the fact that irs flags turbo tax users and there are countless complaints that all say the same thing speaks for itself
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies