turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HK89
Level 2

Which address I should use on my amended 1040X tax form, current or original?

Hello, 

I'm preparing my 1040X form for the year 2017. In 2017, I was living in Mississippi, but now I live in NJ. I'm using TurboTax desktop software to prepare my 1040X. If I put my current address, I get an error because my current address isn't in Mississippi. Should I keep my address on the 1040X same as the original filing?

Thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

You should use the current address on your amended return so that they will send any correspondence on it to you at a good address so you will receive it and can act on it as soon as possible.

Here is the information from the Instructions for Form 1040X:

Change of address. If you have moved since you filed your original return, enter your current address on Form 1040-X.

Look to see what error you are getting...is it an error from the state thinking you are filing the state return in error since you don't have the state name in your filing address?

View solution in original post

3 Replies
gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

You should use the current address on your amended return so that they will send any correspondence on it to you at a good address so you will receive it and can act on it as soon as possible.

Here is the information from the Instructions for Form 1040X:

Change of address. If you have moved since you filed your original return, enter your current address on Form 1040-X.

Look to see what error you are getting...is it an error from the state thinking you are filing the state return in error since you don't have the state name in your filing address?

HK89
Level 2

Thank you for your reply. I get this error: "Information Worksheet: County name must be 'Non-resident' or 'Resident living out of state' when mailing address is outside Mississippi"
Then, should I use "Non-resident"? Because I was confused about which time frame they're referring to.

Thank you very much.

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

If you filed the original as a resident of Mississippi and you are now filing the amended as a resident at that time but not now, but using a non-Mississippi mailing address, then you would select:

"Resident living out of state"

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies