k7acz

Where's my refund

I filed an amended return on July 13, 2022. When I go to the IRS Where's my return it cannot find my return. TurboTax shows my return was transmitted July 11, 2022 and accepted on July 13, 2022. I tried both dates when using Where's my return. Does Where's my return work with amended returns? I had to do an amended return over all the confusion with the form 8915-F delay.

k7acz

Where's my refund

Thanks, but I already had all that info. I'm asking if Where's my refund works with amended returns. It doesn't find my return.

Where's my refund

Amended returns are taking a long time like over 6 months.  And they only mail checks for refunds.  

After 3 weeks you can track it here,    https://www.irs.gov/filing/individuals/amended-returns-form-1040-x-/wheres-my-amended-return-1

Where's my refund

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six months or more for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending.  When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns.  You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

fanfare

Where's my refund

IRS has two different status pages for 1040 and 1040-X.

Look up your amended return status on the correct page at IRS.gov.

@k7acz 

k7acz

Where's my refund

Thank you. That website is down right now. I will keep checking. This all comes from the confusion with the 8915E/F forms that showed I owed money when I didn't.

fanfare

Where's my refund

neither refund status page asks you to enter a date of filing or of ACCEPTED.

Only the tax year you are interested in.

If you are asked for a date, you are in the wrong place.

@k7acz 

NCperson

Where's my refund

@k7acz  please read this from the IRS website.  do note where you need to be checking for the amendment progress; however, given how woefully backlogged the IRS is, assume it will be 9-12 months (no kidding) until it is processed. 

Status of Processing Form 1040-X, Amended Individual Tax Return: As of August 6, 2022, we had 2.1 million unprocessed Forms 1040-X. We are processing these returns in the order received and are working hard to get through the inventory. The current timeframe can be more than 20 weeks instead of up to 16. Please don't file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your amended return. Taxpayers should continue to check  Where's My Amended Return? for the most up to date processing status available.

note that it's "more than 20 weeks" so the IRS is not committing to any upper limit (like I stated, assume 9-12 months!)

k7acz

Where's my refund

All day when clicking on the link I get: 

THIS U.S. GOVERNMENT SYSTEM IS FOR AUTHORIZED USE ONLY. Then when I click OK to go forward it reverts back to: 

THIS U.S. GOVERNMENT SYSTEM IS FOR AUTHORIZED USE ONLY. For now the website appears broken. I will try tomorrow.

k7acz

Where's my refund

With this huge backlog what are the chances of being audited? This all comes from the confusion and lateness of forms 8915E and F for me.

fanfare

Where's my refund

according to IRS, if you haven't received 2020 refund by now, your tax return is under review because of errors or other reasons, such as -- possibly Form 8915-E. They give no clue as to how much longer you must wait.

That's going to impact your 2021 tax return if you filed Form 8915-F.

@k7acz 

k7acz

Where's my refund

No problem with my 2020 return. I filed an amended return for last tax year, 2021. But the 2020 return did include the 8915E but the tax due was NOT spread over a three year period. It was paid in full with the 2020 return. However, on the 2021 return TTax used form 8915F to have me pay the tax I paid in full in 2020 over again over a three year period. I did file on time and paid the additional tax. Because TTax was so slow in providing the form 8915F and filing info I kinda panicked as I was right at the due date. Then, after further research I discovered because of the form 8915F I had overpaid and submitted the amended return. I am sure the IRS is having a ton of problems with this form 8915E/F issue plus TTax was so slow to incorporate it to their program so close to the due date.

k7acz

Where's my refund

IRS website https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return still the same. Tried MS Edge and Chrome. Same result. 

fanfare

Where's my refund

I  have found that lately, "Where's my amended return" sometimes locks up, but it clears shortly or the next day.

If you can't get through, you may have a cookie problem.

anyway, it is a waste of time and energy to keep checking, IRS will send you a letter when they have finished.

We're still waiting after ten months.

@k7acz