turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Where's my refund?? I filed 2/12/24 and it's been accepted by TurboTax and the IRS but I still haven't received it!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Where's my refund?? I filed 2/12/24 and it's been accepted by TurboTax and the IRS but I still haven't received it!

TurboTax gives you an estimated date for receiving your refund based on a 21 day average from your date of acceptance, but it can take longer.  “21 days”  is not a promise from TurboTax or the IRS. 

First, check your e-file status to see if your return was accepted: 

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup/

Once your federal return has been accepted by the IRS, only the IRS has any control.  TurboTax does not receive any updates from the IRS. Your ONLY source of information about your refund now is the IRS.

You need your filing status, your Social Security number and the exact amount  (line 35a of your 2023 Form 1040) of your federal refund to track your Federal refund:   

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

To track your state refund:    

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901548-why-do-some-refunds-take-longer-than-others

If you chose to have your TurboTax fees deducted from your federal refund, that will take some extra time, while the third party bank handles the refund processing.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2580357-who-provides-the-refund-processing-service

https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2840013-does-accepted-mean-my-refund-is-approved

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I'm in the same boat. I called the IRS 22 days after they received my Return to find out why it's still "processing".  I was told there was an "unspecified error" in my return. They could not give me any further guidance except to call back again 10 weeks from when they initially received it (assuming I don't hear from them first). 

ee-ea
Level 15

@crash12_mn 

Saying what is happening to your return at the IRS would be speculation. All you can do now is, wait. At least you know that the IRS has your filing. It does not matter who sent your form to them. That is the sole destination for federal tax returns. No one has discovered a way to make any tax agency speed up working on or sending out refunds. No one ever will because they are an overwhelmed, over worked, under funded and under staffed government bureaucracy. Eventually you will get the pay off of your no interest loan to the government. 21 days is just an educated/informed guess/goal of the IRS which should not be relied on.

Have you thought of paying just enough by estimates or withholding to avoid a penalty and let the government wait for your check?

Check out https://www.irs.gov/wheres-my-refund   

Ab126

Same here 

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

TurboTax does not process your return for a refund. Once your return has been accepted by the IRS, TurboTax is no longer involved in the process. TurboTax is not advised of the status of your return at all. Privacy Laws prohibit sharing client information between TurboTax and the IRS. Once TurboTax submits to IRS and the IRS accepts the return then TurboTax is no longer involved.

All inquiries, in this case, should be made to the IRS.

The 21-day timeframe is only a target set by the IRS.  Because of other issues, the timeframe may be extended.

Check your IRS refund status here

If accepted by the state use this TurboTax support FAQ to check the state tax refund status

See this IRS website for federal tax refund FAQ's 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I think most people understand Turbotax has nothing to do with the timing of their refund once it's been transmitted to the IRS and are simply asking for guidance regarding why it could take so long.

Unfortunately it's hard to answer this question unless there were specific items in the return such as earned income tax credit, additional child tax credit, or if it includes a Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation. The only actions we can take are to call the IRS, check out tax transcript or wait for a letter. It's very frustrating.

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

@crash12_mn is correct

TurboTax can only project the time to get your refund.  The IRS has the real control.

The IRS provides a tool:

You can check the status of your tax return.  You will need:

• Social Security Number.
  • Tax return year.
  • Hilling Status.
  • Exact refund amount

Please click here to enter your information         Check Your Refund .

If you wish to contact the IRS, you can call toll-free at 800-829-1040 or contact a Taxpayer Assistance Center Local IRS Office.

I've had greater success with the Local IRS.

Be sure that your return status is Accepted

• It should not show Pending, or Rejected
  • The return will also have to be processed.
  • Therefore there may be a time delay between Accepted and issuing the refund.

Other reasons your refund can be delayed

• If you mailed your return and expect a refund, it could take four weeks or more to process your return.
  • In addition some tax returns take longer to process than others for many reasons, including when a return:
    • Contains errors or is incomplete
    • Needs further review in general
    • Is affected by identity theft or fraud
    • Was referred to the IRS by the bank due to suspicious activity
    • Includes a claim filed for an Earned Income Tax Credit or an Additional Child Tax Credit. See Q&A below.
    • Includes a Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation, which could take up to 14 weeks to process
    • And I'm sure a host of other issues

We're sorry we can't provide any other solutions.

Please contact us again with any additional questions or to provide some additional details.

@JohnB5677 

Can you please elaborate on this comment  "I've had greater success with the Local IRS" ?

The only "Local" IRS I am aware of is the Tax Assistance Center which you need to make an appointment and they only will meet under certain limited conditions.

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

The Local IRS offices require appointments.  You can make an appointment to go into the office to determine the refund status.

In any event, TurboTax does not issue refunds and all refund inquiries must be made to the IRS or state.

@crash12_mn 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies