Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

vjmwake

Where can I find my federal tax copy? When I click on download tax return it keeps giving me my state tax return

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Where can I find my federal tax copy? When I click on download tax return it keeps giving me my state tax return

What tax year are you printing?   The Federal and state returns should be in the same PDF file.  

Is it 2018, and has it already been filed?    If so, and if for some strange reason the PDF only has the state return and not the Federal, here's another way to download/print.  Here's how to open your return back up to go the Print Center where you can choose various PDFs.

NOTE:  When you open your return back up, do not make any changes in it if it's already been filed.

• Log in and go to "Your Tax Returns & Documents."  Click that line or on the word SHOW to expand that section.
  • Choose 2018 tax year.
  • Click on "Add a State."  (you don't really add one.  That's just to open your return back up.)
  • After the return is open, click in the left menu column on TAX TOOLS, then PRINT CENTER.
  • Then choose "Print, save, view this year's return."
  • The next screen should offer 3 options:  "Just my tax returns", or "include government worksheets (optional)", or "include government and TurboTax worksheets (optional.)"
  • See if one of those PDFs has what you need.

NOTE:  Do NOT use this method to open a return to make changes/edits to an already-filed return (one that has actually been mailed or efiled.)   If you later need to make changes to an already-filed return, you have to go through the formal amending process, and your return must start off exactly as originally filed.

NOTE:  Remember all PDF tax documents and tax data files are very sensitive files, since they contain your personal ID info, financial data, and possibly bank account numbers, etc.  Be sure to store them safely and securely to guard against computer theft, hacking, etc.

And you know the federal return is only 1 pages now?  

Everything goes on a little Form 1040 that has six extra "schedules" with it.   The new 1040 is 2 half pages but now print on 1 sheet with the Signature line in the Middle.

The AGI and total income is now on line 7.  Standard Deduction is line 8.  Taxable income is on line 10 and Tax on line 11.

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-1040 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies