Where are my returns?
Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

Where are my returns?

I filed my taxes at the beginning of the year. I noticed a-couple months later I enter the wrong account number. I tried filing for a amend and never received my check in the mail . Where is my returns, every time I call or talk to anyone I get the run around and get told to call someone else. I filed my taxes through turbo tax so is there any one who knows what I can do. I’ve already contacted my bank as well and they have had no returns get direct deposited into my account.

2 Replies
Level 15

Where are my returns?

Once the tax return has been filed the method of receiving the tax refund cannot be changed nor can the bank information for receiving a direct deposit be changed.

You cannot change the direct deposit information for a tax refund by filing an amended tax return.


If the bank information is not correct the bank will reject the direct deposit and the refund returned to the IRS.  The IRS will then mail a refund check to the address on the tax return.


Did you e-file your tax return and was it accepted?
Only the IRS and your State control when and if a Federal or State tax refund is Approved and Issued.


You complete your tax return by finishing all 3 Steps in the File section. In Step 3, to e-file your tax return, you must click on the large Orange button labeled "Transmit my returns now".


After completing the File section and e-filing your tax return you will receive two emails from TurboTax. The first email when your tax return was transmitted and the second email when the tax return has either been accepted or rejected.


Note - Once a tax return has been Accepted by the IRS or a State, TurboTax receives no further information concerning the tax return or the status of any tax refund.  Only the taxpayer listed on the tax return can obtain the status of a tax refund or a tax return.


To check the status of an e-filed return, open up your desktop product or log into your TurboTax Online Account. You can find your status within the TurboTax product.
If accepted by the IRS use the federal tax refund website to check the refund status - https://www.irs.gov/refunds
If accepted by the state use this TurboTax support FAQ to check the state tax refund status - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund


After the tax return has been Accepted by the IRS (meaning only that they received the return) it will be in the Processing mode until the tax refund has been Approved and then an Issue Date will be available on the IRS website.
See this IRS website for federal tax refund FAQ's - https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions
If over 21 days since being Accepted by the IRS and the tax refund is still Processing you can call the IRS and speak with an IRS agent concerning your tax refund.
Call the IRS: 1-800-829-1040 hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 4 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.
Or you can contact your local IRS office. See this IRS website for local IRS offices - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1 or call 1-844-545-5640 to set up an appointment
Or you may want to contact a Taxpayer Advocate in your area. See this IRS website for Taxpayer Advocate in your area and a toll free number - http://www.irs.gov/Advocate/Local-Taxpayer-Advocate



Level 15

Where are my returns?

TT is only a DIY program so it cannot help you with the IRS ... once you have filed and have been accepted for processing the only the IRS will have the update on where your return is in the system.


So did you efile successfully ?    If you did not then the amended return you mailed in was worthless. 


Here are some things to do first, some of which you may have already done.  If you efiled, you should double-check to be sure the return was efiled successfully and accepted.  If you used Online TurboTax, you can sign into your Online Account and check the efile status at the Tax Home.


If the info at the Tax Home confirms it was accepted, or if you mailed the return, you can use the "Where's My Refund" tool at the IRS website below to check on the status of your Federal refund.  

NOTE: When using that tool, be sure to enter the correct SSN and filing status.  Use only the Federal refund amount, and not any total refund amount that includes a state refund.  The amount to use is on your Federal Form 1040, Line 21a.


If the IRS tool says it is still being processed, here's how to reach the IRS to inquire about the delay, but it may not be easy.  Part of it is luck.    Due to the Coronavirus, some of the IRS call centers had been closed the last few weeks, some are operating with reduced personnel, and others are gradually opening back up.  Users have been reporting that they are finally now reaching someone.    Here is the normal method to reach a live IRS agent when they are operating smoothly, and I'll also tell you below how to reach the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service, if needed.


IRS:  800-829-1040 (7AM-7 PM local time) Monday-Friday


When calling the IRS do not choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

  • First choose your language.  Then listen to each menu before making the selection.
  • Then press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions." 
  • It may then ask for your SSN, but do not enter it.  Just wait.    If it asks for SSN a second time, still do not enter it.
  • Then it will get "tired", and you'll get another menu.  Choose 2 for "personal".
  • Then in the next menu choose 4 for "all other inquiries", and it should transfer you to an agent but expect a long wait.
  • I usually use a speakerphone so I can work on something else while waiting.

If you have no luck reaching the IRS, or don't get good info, you can try contacting the IRS Taxpayer Advocate Service for your area.    They are especially prone to help if you have an economic hardship, or if there have been continued delays with lack of info from the IRS.    At the following IRS website, find the USA map and click on your state, and it will give you the number of your IRS Taxpayer Advocate.    If the Taxpayer Advocate can't/won't help you, ask them to transfer you to an an IRS agent.  A couple of users reported that at least for them, that was a backdoor route to the IRS.



Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings