Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

paulchadband
Returning Member

When Working on my return using the Free Version it says NO State return Need be filed. When I upgraded to Deluxe Version it shows I DO File State return. Which Is It?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

When Working on my return using the Free Version it says NO State return Need be filed. When I upgraded to Deluxe Version it shows I DO File State return. Which Is It?

It depends.  In order to determine if you need to file a state tax return, you should look at your source documents.  If you were under the Free Edition version, the program includes W-2 wages, Earned Income Credit (EIC), and Child Tax Credits.  States which do not have income tax include:

• Alaska
  • Florida
  • Nevada
  • South Dakota
  • Texas
  • Washington
  • Wyoming

However, if you lived in most other states, you would be subject to state taxes for wages earned within those states. I have attached a link to help you determine if you do need to file a state return.  Please click on the link for the state you reside in to help determine if you meet the filing requirements for the state.  State return filing requirements

The Deluxe version has more forms available and it could be that you may be entitled to a state credit for something that is on your return now which was not available to you when you were filing in the Free Edition. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
paulchadband
Returning Member

I am stopped from entering the Case reference number because the system reads it as a social security number !  (reference to case number: Four-Five-Four-Zero-Two--Six-Five-Four-Six)

I owe no California Tax. and I only get a return from the Federal Tax return.  I have no W-2's only 1099-R.

I assumed the Free version of Turbo Tax would allow me to file both simple Federal and California State returns.  When I saw a error message about needing to use Schedule A form. Because I do not itemized any deductions.

After seeing the error message I paid for the upgrade for $30  I assumed it was for the Deluxe version. Now I see in my account that I still owe $10 for Deluxe and I will cost an additional $40 to file the State return.

Again I see no reason I should be able to file for Free. When I called Customer Support The Person tried to connect to my computer but the was a problem on Turbotax end.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

It would depend on what is on the form 1099-R, the type of income and codes on the form, whether you can file for free or not.

I would suggest you clear the return and start it over to see if that resolves your issue. You can do that by following these instructions:

1. Look for the "Tax Tools" option on your left menu bar in TurboTax and click on it

2. Find the "Tools" option and click on it

3. Look for "Clear & Start Over " in the menu of options and click on that option to start your return over

When you start over, your fees will revert back to zero. If you have to upgrade your program to a paid version for any reason, the program will notify as to why.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies