turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

When I try to finish my taxes this is what I get: Something changed in your return You'll need to choose your refund method again.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When I try to finish my taxes this is what I get: Something changed in your return You'll need to choose your refund method again.

@HeatherPLO, ...please inform all turbotax users to folow the following steps below but you will need to be on your desktop or laptop as you will not be able to unlink in the phone app.

STEPS TO CORRECT THE ERROR MESSAGE "SOMETHING CHANGED IN YOUR RETURN"

1. Log into your Credit Karma account (MUST BE ON A DESKTOP OR LAPTOP..NOT THE APP)
  2. Go  to the upper right hand corner after logging in and click on PROFILE & SETTINGS
  3. Scroll down and click on SECURITY SETTINGS 
  4. Scroll down to the email section and confirm the email you have on file with Credit Karma
  5. Then scroll down to the end of the page to LINKED ACCOUNTS
  6. Then click on UNLINK ACCOUNT to unlink your turbotax account from your Credit Karma account
  7. Then log back in to your Turbotax account and click on Intuit Account button(located at the bottom over top of the log out button)
  8. Go down to your email and change it to the email you have listed in your Credit Karma profile
  9. Then sign back out of Turbotax and then back in and go to file your return and it should correct the problem and you should then be able to efile and receive your refund advance.

I would like to say THANK YOU to the turbotax user that figure how to solve the problem as I forgot his name but a BIG THANK YOU!!  FYI...as soon as i did that and efiled my return the first $1,000 was in my Credit Karma bank account within minutes that i prequalified for and the IRS accepted my return within the next hour!  

View solution in original post

36 Replies
CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

If something changed and it is advising you to revisit the refund method, you will need to go back and change your refund method. 

If you need assistance, please click here to contact customer support. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

nothing has changed. I’ve called turbo tax for help 3 times. 

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

Which method are you currently using for a refund?

I'm having the same issue and so are a ton of other people??

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

@Muslickz Can you tell us which refund method you're choosing?  Also, are you completing your tax return with TurboTax Online or the CD/Download software?

I have tried On my PC browser, Phone browser as well as the phone app on android... This advance is very important to me as I'm a single father of four.. I'm afraid I'll miss the cutoff and be forced to wait for the ctc hold till late feb.

I also just wiped and re did my taxes and still no go..

DaraLO
Intuit Alumni

@Muslickz  One user was able to resolve this issue by ensuring their TurboTax and Credit Karma email addresses were the same.  Go here for more information.  If these steps do not resolve the issue for you, reply back so we can further assist you.

They are both the same, I was IT for many years.. I have tried clearing cookies, cache.. Trying incognito mode.. using different browsers.. I do get a "Your FC has been submitted" notification.. but nothing ever finished up..

Tried completely refiling.. everything I could think of?

I tried everything even deleted cookies, cleared the whole return and started again. Nothing worked so I filed somewhere else. 

I am willing to give it a bit more time as I have been with TurboTax for the last 8yrs.

Not saying I wont go somewhere else if I am forced to..

HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

Please try the steps here as recommended by a TT user. If this doesn't resolve your issue, please let us know back here in the thread.  

@HeatherPLO, ...please inform all turbotax users to folow the following steps below but you will need to be on your desktop or laptop as you will not be able to unlink in the phone app.

STEPS TO CORRECT THE ERROR MESSAGE "SOMETHING CHANGED IN YOUR RETURN"

1. Log into your Credit Karma account (MUST BE ON A DESKTOP OR LAPTOP..NOT THE APP)
  2. Go  to the upper right hand corner after logging in and click on PROFILE & SETTINGS
  3. Scroll down and click on SECURITY SETTINGS 
  4. Scroll down to the email section and confirm the email you have on file with Credit Karma
  5. Then scroll down to the end of the page to LINKED ACCOUNTS
  6. Then click on UNLINK ACCOUNT to unlink your turbotax account from your Credit Karma account
  7. Then log back in to your Turbotax account and click on Intuit Account button(located at the bottom over top of the log out button)
  8. Go down to your email and change it to the email you have listed in your Credit Karma profile
  9. Then sign back out of Turbotax and then back in and go to file your return and it should correct the problem and you should then be able to efile and receive your refund advance.

I would like to say THANK YOU to the turbotax user that figure how to solve the problem as I forgot his name but a BIG THANK YOU!!  FYI...as soon as i did that and efiled my return the first $1,000 was in my Credit Karma bank account within minutes that i prequalified for and the IRS accepted my return within the next hour!  

I also came to realize this earlier but both of my emails were the same initially and it still did that loop to me so what I did was I went to Credit karma changed it to an alternate email verified that email then went to TurboTax change that to the same alternate email verified that one and then everything worked for me.

Just in case anyone sees both emails match off the bat it may not matter...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies