stardust--

When can I amend my 2021 Tax Return with 1040X? I accidentally marked myself as dependent instead of independent and unfortunately my Federal Return was accepted. Help?

Can I only amend my 2021 taxes next year?  I didn't receive any of my stimulus checks as a result and was charged about an extra 1k because of this mistake.  I want to amend soon so I can get my money back.  When can I?
stardust--

Nevermind, I figured it out!  My mistake was looking for 2021, not 2020, haha.

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six months or more for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending.  When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns.  You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1