turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

New Member

What happens if I filed and need to add another w-2

I have already filed my taxes and got another W-2 in the mail that I need to add

This feature is pending. Thanks for your patience.
Didn't get the answer you wanted? Talk to a live expert to get the help you need.
1 Reply

What happens if I filed and need to add another w-2

An e-filed tax return cannot be cancelled, retrieved or changed.  Do NOT change anything on the return that has been filed.  TurboTax will send you an email when the IRS either accepts or rejects the tax return.

If the IRS rejects the return you can add the W-2 and re-file.  If the IRS accepts the return, then you mus wait for the tax refund or the taxes owed and paid to be processed.  You would then have to file an amended tax return, Form 1040X, to add the W-2 to the accepted tax return.  An amended federal tax return can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.  The IRS will take 16 weeks or longer to process the amended tax return.

See this TurboTax support FAQ on amending a 2016 tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3061514-how-do-i-amend-change-or-correct-a-2016-return-with-turbot....

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies