turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What education fees can be deducted as "required"? I've seen examples that a lab fee can be deducted as required, but not general fees.

Basically can any fee that is charged in order to take a course deductible under "required?  I've seen where lab fees are.  We were charged a "Computer Science" fee because of a CS course (not every semester), can that be claimed?  What about a Writing Center Lab fee, again because of a particular course, not every semester?  One place says that the Activity Fee can be claimed.  It looks like most fees that are charged every semester cannot be claimed (e.g., health, recreation, sports, parking, etc), so confused about the Activity fee. Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

What education fees can be deducted as "required"? I've seen examples that a lab fee can be deducted as required, but not general fees.

Required means that every student is required to pay it in order to attend the school.  So, if all students are required to pay an activity fee then it is deductible.  If the activity fee is only required if you WANT to attend the activities then it is not deductible. 

Certain fees are never deductible.  Even if you pay the following expenses to enroll or attend the school, the following are not qualified education expenses:

• Room and board
  • Insurance
  • Medical expenses (including student health fees)
  • Transportation
  • Similar personal, living or family expenses

Here is a link to the IRS site discussing what is and is not deductible.  https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/qualified-ed-expenses

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you, but again is a Fee that's incurred because of a certain college course that you are taking (e.g., physics lab fee, comp science class fee, writing lab fee), deductible and considered "required".  Sorry, but I can read all of the publications, but it's still confusing and would like to know about my specific examples.  Thank you.

Yes, lab fees, science fees, etc, are considered course related fees that are mandatory.  They are deductible.

Thank you.  One more fee question.  I read somewhere when searching on this site, that the "Activity Fee" CAN be claimed as required, but ones like Recreation, health, sports, parking cannot.  What about Activity Fee, please?  Thank you!

ONLY if you don't have a choice can you claim the activity fee.  If you can opt out of the "activities" and avoid the fee, then it is not deductible.

In relation to the above, would the college have already covered Activity Fee and lab fees in the 1098-T form, box 2 (Amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expenses) or am I allowed to claim these fees in the Books and materials required to be purchased from the school?
TonyD5

Can the non-deductable fees be include as part of room and board and eligible for 529?  particularly we have a "residence hall tech fee" "student health fee" and "student recreation fee".  These i determined are not included in reported tuition.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies