Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

options1
Returning Member

What do I do when TurboTax says my federal refund was direct deposited on April 20th, and it is NOT in my account, and it's May 28th? Same bank and using Turbo for 6 yrs.

I wrote above re: TurboTax refund not in bank, and they say it is. The state taxes were paid via credit card, and we have receipt. But turbo is not showing we paid!
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

What do I do when TurboTax says my federal refund was direct deposited on April 20th, and it is NOT in my account, and it's May 28th? Same bank and using Turbo for 6 yrs.

Where do you see that? Turbo Tax has no idea when the IRS is going to send out the refund.  Once your return is accepted by the IRS, Turbo Tax gets no additional correspondence from the IRS. 

Did you review your transcript on IRS.GOV?  THAT will indicate whether the refund went out or not

The state taxes were paid via credit card, and we have receipt. But turbo is not showing we paid!

That's because TT state program has no way of knowing that you actually paid the state taxes.

When you efiled the payment information was sent to the state and the state completed the transaction.  At no time is a notice of completion of payment ever sent back to the TT program as there is no way for that to happen.  Information only flows from TT to the state and not the reverse.  The return in the TT program will always reflect a balance due  the same way if you had gone to a paid tax pro and walked out the door with a paper copy ... at no time will the paper copy ever show the balance due being  paid.  Proof of payment is only reflected in your bank/CC statement. 

options1
Returning Member

Since my question, I discovered the refund went to towards state taxes, which we thought we'd paid as usual every year.  I don't know why it isn't policy for TT to remind people when they have unpaid taxes due. The amount owed changes on TT based on payments. So they are aware the taxes are still due, and it would have saved us money and a lot of stress had that happened. I don't understand why they would not do that. 

@options1 

<<I don't know why it isn't policy for TT to remind people when they have unpaid taxes due.>>

they do! Review the cover letter that appears when you submit your taxes. THAT Is the reminder.

Again, there is NO FEEDBACK LOOP from either the state taxing authority or the IRS to Turbo Tax.  That is your confidential information and can not be shared with Turbo Tax (or others)  

@options1 

If you had prior year unpaid State taxes then they can and will grab the current year federal or state refunds to pay the old debt.  

In the FILE tab you are asked how you will pay the balance due  and then you are asked if you want to download/view the PDF of the return before you file (which you always should do).  In the PDF are the filing instruction page for both the fed & state returns which repeats what you read on the screen.   If you choose to have the state balance due paid by CC or direct debit then how that would happen would be clearly indicated just like it was on the screen.  Many states cannot be paid thru the TT system and you have to make other arrangements which again the program gives you in detail.  Your failure to read the instructions and take action if needed is not the DIY program's fault nor is it the responsibility of the DIY TT program to remind an adult of their responsibilities.  After all it is a DIY program and you are responsible for your own return.  When clients leave my desk they are educated in what they need to do and when ... I do not send them "reminder" email or phone calls ... that is not my job nor is it TT.   Sorry to be blunt but this is the unvarnished truth.  

options1
Returning Member

Hello.

Thank you for responding. I don't know who you are, but when you say clients leave your desk office with knowledge, I'm assuming you either work for TurboTax or you're an accountant. I didn't say it was your job or TT, but I asked why not?  Why not send a reminder when you see someone hasn't paid their taxes.  I don't know it. IT seems like a logical "perk" since TT seems to disappear after you file your taxes.

I upgraded, and I paid a lot of money to use TurboTax this year.

Someone here said due to confidentiality issues there's no communication with TT and the IRS/State Taxes.  If that is the case, how come TT had noted  on their site that my state taxes went down from $145 to 54. That's how I figured it out. The Federal refund the IRS said was in the bank had actually been . And no ,we didn't owe any other taxes anywhere else . I was trying to figure out penalties for being late but I remember my Turbo Tax package I block sewed up if it was filed on time there wouldn't be a penalty. 

At this point I'm just hoping the money to pay off state went to the state and not to the Federal I don't know if they would turn it over or not. 

Maybe H and R Block next year. Thanks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies