Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

What dies it mean when it’s say we have received your refund and it’s being processed

@Mikey1121

If your refund includes the Earned Income Credit or Child Tax Credit, do not expect it to be released before February 15.

CBS news is reporting:

That may make taxpayers nervous about delays in 2022, but most Americans should get their refunds within 21 days of filing, the IRS said this month — with some caveats. Claiming the Earned Income Tax Credit or the Child Tax Credit will slow down your tax return due to regulations designed to deter fraud, but that means people who claim those credits and filed their returns on January 24 or close to that date may not receive their refund until early March, the IRS said. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

What dies it mean when it’s say we have received your refund and it’s being processed

First never count on the refund being in your hand on any certain date and you will not be disappointed ...

Directly from the IRS :   https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

How quickly will I get my refund?

We issue most refunds in less than 21 calendar days.

It is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue refunds for some 2020 tax returns that require review including incorrect Recovery Rebate Credit amounts, or that used 2019 income to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC).

I’m counting on my refund for something important. Can I expect to receive it in 21 days?

Many different factors can affect the timing of your refund after we receive your return. Even though we issue most refunds in less than 21 days, it’s possible your refund may take longer. Also, remember to take into consideration the time it takes for your financial institution to post the refund to your account or for you to receive it by mail.

It's been longer than 21 days since the IRS received my return and I haven’t gotten my refund. Why?

Some tax returns take longer to process than others for many reasons, including when a return:

• Includes errors, such as incorrect Recovery Rebate Credit
  • Is incomplete
  • Needs further review in general
  • Is affected by identity theft or fraud
  • Includes a claim filed for an Earned Income Tax Credit or an Additional Child Tax Credit. See Q&A below.
  • Includes a Form 8379, Injured Spouse Allocation PDF, which could take up to 14 weeks to process

For the latest information on IRS refund processing during the COVID-19 pandemic, see the IRS Operations Status page.

We will contact you by mail when (or if) we need more information to process your return. If we’re still processing your return or correcting an error, neither Where’s My Refund? or our phone representatives will be able to provide you with your specific refund date. Please check Where’s My Refund? for updated information on your refund.

I claimed the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) or the Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC) on my tax return. When can I expect my refund?

According to the Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes (PATH) Act, the IRS cannot issue EITC and ACTC refunds before mid-February. The IRS expects most EITC/ACTC related refunds to be available in taxpayer bank accounts or on debit cards by the first week of March, if they chose direct deposit and there are no other issues with their tax return.

Check Where’s My Refund for your personalized refund date.

Where’s My Refund? on IRS.gov and the IRS2Go mobile app remains the best way to check the status of a refund. WMR on IRS.gov and the IRS2Go app will be updated with projected deposit dates for most early EITC/ACTC refund filers by February 22. So EITC/ACTC filers will not see an update to their refund status for several days after Feb. 15. 

FYI ... it is currently unknown how long the IRS will take to process returns that had the advance CTC payments reported on the form 8812 ... or how the CTC being reported on the same line as the ACTC will be handled.  Only time will tell.  

Does it take longer to get your refund when you file a 2441 form? 

JohnW152
Expert Alumni

@Mikey1121

The IRS hasn’t given any indication that returns claiming the Child and Dependent Care Credit on Form 2441 will be delayed in the 2022 filing season.

This is in contrast to returns claiming the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) or the Additional Child Tax Credit (ACTC), for which refunds can’t be issued before February 15th.  Please see When to Expect Your Refund if You Claimed the Earned Income Tax Credit or Additional Child Tax Credi... for more information.

I went to check my refund and this popped up on my refund status page does this mean I’m still getting my refund?

According to the Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes (PATH) Act, the IRS cannot issue refunds before mid-February for tax returns that claim the Earned Income Tax Credit or the Additional Child Tax Credit. This applies to the entire refund, even the portion not associated with these credits.

My refund bar when to saying received now it disappeared and says this 

According to the Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes (PATH) Act, the IRS cannot issue refunds before mid-February for tax returns that claim the Earned Income Tax Credit or the Additional Child Tax Credit. This applies to the entire refund, even the portion not associated with these credits.

Check Where's My Refund in mid- to late February for your personalized refund status. It's updated once a day and remains the best way to check the status of your refund.

Just what it means ... your return cannot start processing until mid February due to the PATH ACT so come back then for a progress report and don't expect your refund until early March or later.    https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/path-act-tax-related-provisions#:~:text=The%20PATH%20Act%20mandates%20t....

Should I be worried this never happened before and I claim my child tax credit almost every year

NO ... this is SOP for any return with EIC/CTC/ACTC on it ... has been for several years now.  Read the info in the IRS link.    This year the CTC is on the same line as the ACTC  so it is being treated as such.  

So this means my refund bar won’t come back until mid February? 

Correct. 

path.PNG

thank you, so does this mean they can’t even process my return until mid February or I’ll get my return in mid February early March 

That’s exactly what mine says now so I have nothing to be worried about?

This is the SOP for any return with the EIC/CTC/ACTC on them and they will not start processing the millions of returns that pile up until mid February or later ... so don't expect any refund until sometime in early March and be thrilled if it comes in sooner. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies