turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We already filed and received our money but i want to file separately even though i dont have a job

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

We already filed and received our money but i want to file separately even though i dont have a job

When only one spouse works, it is still allowed for the spouses to file married filing jointly, and this almost always result in lower taxes.

If you have already filed jointly, it is too late to file an amended return to change it to separate. The deadline for that is April 15. 

If you have no separate income, you would get nothing back anyway.    And if your spouses tax refund is being held back for debts,  filing separately or filing injured spouse form will not help you get any of that refund back because you don't have income. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies

What?  You already filed a joint return and received a refund?  But now you want to file a return?  But you did not earn any income?  Please explain what you are actually trying to do.  Now that the filing deadline for 2016 is over, it is too late to change a joint return to married filing separately.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

When only one spouse works, it is still allowed for the spouses to file married filing jointly, and this almost always result in lower taxes.

If you have already filed jointly, it is too late to file an amended return to change it to separate. The deadline for that is April 15. 

If you have no separate income, you would get nothing back anyway.    And if your spouses tax refund is being held back for debts,  filing separately or filing injured spouse form will not help you get any of that refund back because you don't have income. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies