Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Was told by IRS backlogged tax returns would be done by July 31, 2020...

Hi everyone - I have been back and forth with the IRS since about May. I filed online via TurboTax in early March.  I've used the call prompt that is constantly being posted in this community (posted at end of this). I was recently told due to the back up their dead line is July 31 (FOR TAXES SUBMITTED PRIOR TO SHUTDOWN) and if you do not have it back call them to escalate. Well I still do not have mine and the call prompt NO LONGER WORKS. You will constantly get a message that their call volume is too high and to call back no matter what time of day you call. I'm at a loss at this point because they're holding onto a significant amount of money with absolutely no way for us to find out what is going on with it. If anyone finds a new way to get someone on the phone please let me know.

This is the way that's been posted that is no longer working:

Call the IRS: [phone number removed] hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday
When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info). Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.
Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".
Then press 3 "for all other questions."
Then press 2 "for all other questions."
- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don't enter anything.
- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions.
Then press 4 for all other inquiries
It should then transfer you to an agent.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

OK ... so does is seem reasonable that the IRS can catch up on more than 3 months of backed up returns in less than 2 months while at the same time trying to process incoming returns  AND  putting out a stimulus check ???  Sorry but whoever told you that was obviously misinformed. 

So what can you do ... well you can try calling however as you can see millions are doing the same  or  see if you can get help from the taxpayer advocate office  or  simply wait patiently until they process your return.

Only the IRS controls when and if a tax refund is Approved and Sent.

Call the IRS:  1-800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Monday-Friday

When calling the IRS do NOT choose the first option re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.  

So after first choosing your language, then do NOT choose Option 1 (refund info).  Choose option 2 for "personal income tax" instead.

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".   

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  

- When it asks you to enter your SSN or EIN to access your account information, don’t enter anything.  

- After it asks twice, you will get another menu.

Then press 4 for personal or individual tax questions.

It should then transfer you to an agent.

Or you can contact your local IRS office.  See this IRS website for local IRS offices - http://www.irs.gov/uac/Contact-Your-Local-IRS-Office-1 or call 1-844-545-5640 to set up an appointment

Or you may want to contact a Taxpayer Advocate in your area.  See this IRS website for Taxpayer Advocate in your area and a toll free number - http://www.irs.gov/Advocate/Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

Cannot imagine who at the IRS told you that ALL tax returns would be processed by July 31.   There are still many people waiting for tax refunds.  Many people did not even file until the filing deadline of July 15, so it would be impossible for "all" returns to be done.  In fact, plenty of people have still not filed--as evidenced by the questions in this forum.  So either you were misinformed or misunderstood if you think you were told "all" returns would be done by the end of July.

Unfortunately, your only source of information about your refund is still the IRS.  TurboTax does not get any information about your return after you file, nor can TurboTax do anything to speed up the IRS for you.

To check on regular tax refund status via automated phone, call 800-829-1954. (This line has no information on Economic Impact Payments.)

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@xmasbaby0  I should clarify these were all backlogged taxes prior to COVID that had to sit and wait while they were closed. These are taxes filed before the shutdown of the IRS. Yes, I was told all of these taxes would be completed by July 31 as that was the IRS' deadline for completion on these. I was told to call back and have the issue escalated by TWO agents. I may have been misinformed but I did not misunderstand. 

I am well aware this is not a TurboTax issue HOWEVER this group has been great about giving tips to be able to get the IRS on the phone. All I asked for was any new tips to get them on the phone and not blaming TurboTax or anyone else for this issue. I've used TT for years and will continue to use them as I know this is out of their handling. 

I understand you may be seeing a lot of rude or ignorant comments on here so you're coming at people defensively and a bit harsh, but please realize many of us are waiting on a large chunk of money and the fact that there is zero communication makes many of us nervous that we're not going to receive it. A little kindness and understanding goes a long way in these times. 

@Critter-3  re-read my message please - you gave me the steps I said no longer work. I have been waiting patiently for months since they've been open with zero communication from them. I like to be proactive with my own money and know what's going on with it. Again - all I asked for was any new way to contact them.

contact a Taxpayer Advocate in your area.  See this IRS website for Taxpayer Advocate in your area and a toll free number - http://www.irs.gov/Advocate/Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

@jdodson wrote:

@Critter-3  re-read my message please - you gave me the steps I said no longer work. I have been waiting patiently for months since they've been open with zero communication from them. I like to be proactive with my own money and know what's going on with it. Again - all I asked for was any new way to contact them.

The procedure to contact an IRS agent using the toll free number 1-800-829-1040 is available and working.  Granted the wait time may be long if calling mid-day.  Many users have communicated that calling first thing in the morning provides the best opportunity to speak with an agent.

Note that the IRS is available from 7am to 7pm your Local time, Monday thru Friday.

Go to this IRS website for information on availability for various IRS departments and functions - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

Telephone Options: Automated phone lines which handle most taxpayer calls - also remain available. All IRS toll-free phone lines supported by customer service representatives for both taxpayers and tax professionals are also available. However, callers should continue to expect long waits due to limited staffing.

Taxpayer Assistance Centers: On Monday, June 29, 2020, the IRS began opening its Taxpayer Assistance Centers (TACs) to the public in phases. To ensure the safety of the public and employees, people seeking in-person assistance at a TAC will need to call 844-545-5640 to make an appointment. Appointments will be available if people need assistance for authentication of identity and document validation related to tax return filing or application for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number; Sailing Clearances required for foreign travel by resident and non-resident aliens leaving the United States; assistance with Economic Impact Payment Issues; and cash payments.

Taxpayer Advocate Service. All in-person TAS offices are closed. We are experiencing delays and interruptions in working cases due to IRS services being limited. We are also seeing high call volume to TAS offices resulting in delays in our response time. Call TAS at 877-777-4778 or visit the TAS webpage to locate your local office phone number. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies