Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Was shorted on my federal tax return

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

One possibility is you used the Refund Processing Service to pay your TurboTax Online fees. If you did, your TurboTax fee plus the additional processing fee (plus sales tax) is deducted from your federal tax refund.

Another possibility is your refund was reduced by the government, either to correct a calculation error or through a refund offset. The IRS Where's My Refund tool will contain a disclaimer if your refund may have been offset.

You'll get an explanatory letter from the government if your refund differs from what was on your filed return.

Federal and State refunds are issued separately, so you may have gotten one but not the other.

View solution in original post

7 Replies

One possibility is you used the Refund Processing Service to pay your TurboTax Online fees. If you did, your TurboTax fee plus the additional processing fee (plus sales tax) is deducted from your federal tax refund.

Another possibility is your refund was reduced by the government, either to correct a calculation error or through a refund offset. The IRS Where's My Refund tool will contain a disclaimer if your refund may have been offset.

You'll get an explanatory letter from the government if your refund differs from what was on your filed return.

Federal and State refunds are issued separately, so you may have gotten one but not the other.

My refund status was short and don’t know why

I RECEIVED 1/2 OR LESS FROM MY FEDERAL TAX

I RECEIVED BACK LESS THAN 1/2 OF MY FEDERAL

SForrestLO
Intuit Alumni

We know how important your refund is and we apologize. You'll get an email message from us shortly letting you know when to expect the rest of your refund.

In the meantime, please refer to these Turbo Tax help articles.

What is Refund Processing Service?

Why is my direct-deposited refund or check lower than the amount in TurboTax?

Why is My Tax Refund Not What I Expected?

How do I track my state refund?

What is a refund offset?

Refund Status: SBTPG

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I was short $1400 when should i expect to see it in my account? 

@Kennyeldridge wrote:

I was short $1400 when should i expect to see it in my account? 

If your refund is short $1,400 then the IRS has records that show you were sent the 3rd stimulus payment so they removed the $1,400 Recovery Rebate Credit from the federal tax return Form 1040 Line 30.

If you checked your bank account in the March - May 2021 timeframe and there is not a $1,400 EIP3 payment from the IRS then go to this IRS website for how to start a trace on the payment - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-economic-impact-payment-topic-j-p...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies