Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

WANT TO KNOW HOW LONG TO GET REFUND IF YOU HAVE AN OFFSET (If you owe past due taxes, etc.) Check Here...

I thought I'd share my experience this year with anyone wondering how long it will take them to get their refund (the rest of it) if they owe back taxes, etc.  Will it take you longer to get your refund?  I don't think so!  Check this out......

In my case, I owed back taxes but still expected to get around $3000 after that was deducted from my refund.  Here's the timeline of how it went for me:

• Filed March 13
  • Accepted March 14 ("Return Received" status on Where's My Refund? App)
  • It said I should receive my refund by April 2
  • March 16 the status changed.  On the "Where's My Refund?" app, all the status bars disappeared and a generic message said my return was still being processed.
  • March 22 the status on the "Where's My Refund" PHONE app changed to REFUND APPROVED.  There was an additional message stating "Your refund has been reduced to pay a past to IRS tax obligation."  However, there was no amount listed under refund amount - it was blank!!!!  Was worried thinking they kept my entire refund!
  • In desperation, I tried the "Where's My Refund" WEB app from my laptop.  Amazingly, it showed a ton of detail that wasn't on the phone app!  It shows REFUND APPROVED status and says:  

Your refund has been reduced to pay a past due IRS tax obligation

The balance of your refund, $3,078.33, is scheduled to be sent to your bank by March 26, 2014. If your refund is not credited to your account by March 31, 2014, check with your bank to find out if it has been received.

So I filed March 13 and should get refund March 26, even with them taking it offline for awhile to process the offset!!!  I was really worried it would take forever, at least longer than the standard time, but it was really fast!  

Was this helpful to you?  I posted because I simply couldn't find out much information in the community here on situations like this.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

75 Replies
lisa85255

WANT TO KNOW HOW LONG TO GET REFUND IF YOU HAVE AN OFFSET (If you owe past due taxes, etc.) Check Here...

Thanks For Posting! I didn't realize that it was called an Offset- Was there a place in Turbo Tax to select that you want the past due balance deducted from your refund? Or do you just have to let it go through the system and hope they catch it?

You have no choice - the IRS will automatically apply any refunds to back taxes due - unless they mess up and forget (which I hear happens - but is very rare)
qdubz

Wonder if they do the same for student loans. I hope so.
shemekac

Great information and I truly appreciate you posting your experience.

Thank you very much for your story, I was starting to get worried. My husband and I filed he owes 800 in child support were expected to get 7970

Anyone else have this issue? They claim we owe but will still have a refund. I've been told my taxes have been processed but they haven't offset my refund yet. Didn't think it usually took this long but I filed the 19th and still nothing

Yea same with me and they said it might take another 3 weeks for me to get my refund

Did either of you receive anything yet? The bars went away on wmr tool for me about 5 days ago. Called the IRS and they said it was pulled for review but can't tell me anything more except that it could take up to 60 days more.

They told me 60 days but I received a letter that said it would be two to three weeks. Anyone had any luck.

Nothing yet for me.

My initial 21 days is up and still nothing. The bars on progress have disappeared as of a few days ago. Wish i knew wtf was going on.
liana1111

I ow exactly $500 to department of education I'm on offset and I'm expecting a $6,000 refund
I filed March 2,2016 and I just checked and it says still processing?? Turbo tax said I should get my refund between March 2 -March 23rd...And that's it I'm worried it gonna take longer to get my deposit because of the offset .. State took my $89 already filed state March 2,2016 so I got that one fast checked and it said state took it I ow them so could this mean my federal is coming soon.

I filed Feb 10th still nothing. We told my funds would be released yesterday
liana1111

What's it say on the irs site refund status? William ?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies