Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Wage and Income Transcript Q

My wage and income transcript on the IRS shows my W2 twice ( exact copy). I contacted my employer who confirmed they only issued one, and contacted SSA who confirms they only show 1. 

the IRS transcript is showing 2. I called the IRS and they were like “ nothing we can do for you right now”. I’m having a minor panic attack. 

someone please talk some sense into me

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Was one a corrected copy?  

No- confirmed not corrected. 

This will most likely work itself out eventually and right now the IRS is too busy with all the piles on their plate to attend to this  issue  so just chill and check again around Christmas.  

Chill isn’t necessarily my personality lol. ( hyper anxiety disorder)

am I overreacting here? Worst case scenario they send me a “proposal” and I send them back all the support I have. I have my w2, pay stub, got a letter from my employer confirming the one, as well as my SS transcript all showing the same amount .

I have nothing to worry about right?

about all you can do right now is to file with the info you have. then if you get a notice you can respond.   if you don't file there will be no way for the IRS to know there is incorrect info in their database.  if yo can't e-file because of this, then file by mail and include an explanatory letter including one from your employer. mention that the SSA only has 1 w-2 on file for you.      this is an unusual problem. w-2/w-3 are only filed with the SSA and state. It's the SSA that forwards the w-2 info to the IRS.

I truly believe this is some kind of very strange random glitch of transfer from SSA to IRS causing a duplicate posting. 

I filed already, but I can see this becoming a potential issue down the line if they think I have double income. 

do you think having my SSA statement, employer statement, and all pay documents would be sufficient to have this issue resolved if it ever was asked ( they could also fix it on their own and I would never know)

im just a high anxiety person and hate having this situation hanging over my head when I did nothing wrong 

Just be prepared to support your position then chill out since there is nothing you can do about it now.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies