Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

DSprouse
Returning Member

USPS May Have Lost My Return. How do I proceed?

Electronic wasn’t able to be processed due to one piece of actual paper needed - so stupid! We mailed on 4/15/20 - IRS where’s my refund still doesn’t show anything. Says don’t mail again but you should have your check by now. No way to get a love person on the phone. We included a 2018 addendum as well- check for that has not been cashed.  Do I mail again??  Or wait?

Seems to me USPS has some major changes to make. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

the problem could be that you included a 2018 addendum (whatever that is)  with the 2019 return.  It should have been sent separately.    Or it could be simply that the IRS for 2-3 months wasn't processing mailed-in returns. It is thus far behind in processing them so it just might be that the IRS hasn't gotten to your return yet.  There is no way to know for sure what's happening with your return.  

the problem is that if the IRS got your return and you send in another copy it could further delay processing.  

another issue with sending in another set, again 2018 should be sent separate from 2019, is that if the IRS got the first filing and you send in a second, the IRS will likely cash both checks.   

I suggest waiting until at least the end of August before doing sending in a second set.  after that, it's up to you to decide whether to wait further or submit a second set.  This time use a method where you get proof of delivery. 

Can I file electronically on the assumption that my mailed in return sent in June, 2019 for 2019 was lost or not processed?

No.   E-filing for 2019 returns has been closed since October.  Here is what the IRS says about sending in another 2019 return:

Processing Delays for Paper Tax Returns

We continue to process electronic and paper tax returns, issue refunds, and accept payments. We’re experiencing delays in processing paper tax returns due to limited staffing. If you already filed a paper return, we will process it in the order we received it.

Do not file a second tax return or call the IRS.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Same thing has happened to my paper return.  USPS tracking say in transit.  Last stop was Reddit Utah going to Ogden Utah on 4/3/2021.  Mailed it on 3/30/2021.  Is this the post office or the IRS holding this up?

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

@gretchhub, it's possible it was delivered and the post office just didn't scan it upon delivery. You might need to wait another week or two, and see if it shows up on the IRS website.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Not only is it possible, it looks very likely based on some internet research I did.  Apparently a lot of tax returns with tracking get mixed in with first class mail, specially during the tax rush period.  The ones with tracking are supposed to be separated and scanned but they send a whole ton of mail to that IRS zip code for Odgen UT (yes the IRS has its own zipcode, several of them).   There is a ton of these complaints for the 2019 filing season where the return just did not get scanned.  If you owed money you can see that the check got cashed (which means they have your return but have not processed it yet, still waiting for my 2019 return to be entered into the system).  This year it is a refund so I have no idea if they got it.  Best advice I saw was to wait 6 weeks after the last tracking event (last scan point the post office did not miss), usually stop right before it goes to the IRS zipcode.  Then check the where's my refund on the IRS website, https://www.irs.gov/refunds.  If there is no information on the processing of your refund after 6 weeks, it is time to file again.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

@gretchhub

You can also check your IRS Transcript to see if the IRS shows your return in their system yet.  Keep in mind that the IRS has been delayed since before the filing season due to the pandemic.

This year has brought challenges. The IRS is required to reconcile the tax returns and stimulus payments as well as working on the third stimulus payments due to the American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA).  With the tax season and the changes taking place all at once, a delay should be expected for full payments. They want to be diligent and are required to follow any protocols they have been issued.  

Greenka
Returning Member

I mailed my tax return by USPS certIfied mail since February 24 and the last update was on February 27 as “Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility, AUSTIN TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER” and now April 17 shows “in transit”.

What does it mean?
- It means my tax documents is still at Austin TX Distribution Center and waiting USPS to deliver to IRS? This is because IRS doesn’t have enough stuff to sign mail or don’t have enough space to keep millions mail?

- or USPS has already delivered like big pile of mails to IRS but IRS doesn’t have time to sign (because this is certified mail), so it shows “in transit”?

- or USPS lost my tax return because it shows “in transit” for almost 2 months.

Yes, I already filed a claim with USPS and search for missing mail with Customer Affair. USPS told me that my case is with Consumer Affair so I need to call to follow up with them. However, I called consumer affairs at Austin, Texas and left messages several times but no responses at all.

IRS also cannot answer what is going with my documents (delivered or not) and suggested me to re-file at the end of April.

Anybody experienced the same thing with me when you mail tax return to Texas, Austin for 2020 tax return? Can I re-efile in the beginning of May? 

pamanaru

Not exactly the same but somewhat similar in my case. Federal tax return was send out by certified mail on February 24, 2021 and delivered to Ogden, UT on March 1st. About 7 weeks has been passed but no any evidence on IRS website and with my bank account (it should be some money to me) that they got it and processed.

Should I resend 2020 tax return by mail (from the beginning Turbotax does not give me an option to e-file) after waiting couple more weeks or just wait ? Does someone have experience how long waiting time can be?  Thank you.

It doesn’t matter if you pay for certified mail , that’s what I did . I’m in Kansas, sending my taxes to Ogden, Utah. Almost 10 weeks ago it was mailed , at the post office by the postmaster . It went to Kansas City one day after I mailed it and it’s just vanished. I made a claim and they told me the same as everyone else . It’s freaking lost , we’ll refund your 4 bucks .. sorry .. tough . I’m just going to try to efile and see what happens. 

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

It is not unusual for the IRS to not return the certified mail card.

According to this IRS update as of April 16th:  

The IRS is now opening mail within normal timeframes. The IRS has also made significant progress in processing prior year returns. As of April 9, 2021, we had 1.5 million individual tax returns received prior to 2021 in the processing pipeline. Including current year returns, as of April 9, 2021, we had 16.2 million unprocessed individual returns in the pipeline. Unprocessed returns include those requiring correction to the Recovery Rebate Credit amount or validation of 2019 income used to figure the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Advance Child Tax Credit (ACTC). This work does not require us to correspond with taxpayers but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund. If, as a result, a correction is made to any RRC, EITC or ACTC claimed on the return, the IRS will send taxpayers an explanation. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Where’s My Refund? for their personalized refund status and can review Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.  

How long you may have to wait: The IRS understands the importance of timely processing of tax returns and refund issuance. We are processing returns received over the summer and fall in 2020 due to the extended July 15, 2020 tax filing due date. While the majority of 2019 refund returns have been processed, in some cases, we are processing tax returns that were mailed with a payment even though payment associated with these returns have been processed by the IRS. However, we are rerouting tax returns and taxpayer correspondence from locations that are behind to locations where more staff is available, and we are taking other actions to minimize any delays. Tax returns are opened in the order received. As the return is processed, it may be delayed because it has a mistake including errors concerning the Recovery Rebate Credit, is missing information, or there is suspected identity theft or fraud. If we can fix it without contacting you, we will. If we need more information or need you to verify that it was you who sent the tax return, we will write you a letter. The resolution of these issues depends on how quickly and accurately you respond, and the ability of IRS staff trained and working under social distancing requirements to complete the processing of your return.  

What you should do: If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s my refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. We’re working hard to get through the backlog. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.  

E-filing your 2020 tax return: To e-file you will need to enter your AGI from your tax year 2019 tax return.  If your 2019 return has not yet been processed, you may enter $ 0 (zero) as your prior year Adjusted Gross Income. If you used the Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here tool last year to register for an Economic Impact Payment, enter “$1” as your prior year AGI. See Claiming the Recovery Rebate Credit if you aren’t required to file a tax return.  

@Greenka I am also seeing the same thing, except I e-filed my returns and what I mailed are supporting documents requested for capital gains calculations.  I'm guessing Austin is one of the IRS centers that is having issues dealing with incoming mail.  It doesn't help that the IRS website says it should take up to three weeks to show up in their system, which would lead people to worry that their mail could be lost.

It looks like the consensus is we should be fine since we have proof of mailing by USPS certified mail (sorry to other folks who wasted money on more expensive stuff, e.g. $80 overnight mail..)  It's unfortunate for those who have a refund that's held up due to these issues (I have one of those for 2019, that's another story).

The real solution to this ridiculous mess is for the IRS to get into the 21st century and offer a secure iOS and Android app to let people take pictures of or upload soft copies of anything they're otherwise needing to mail to the IRS.   If not, have some way on irs.gov to do so, which would be 20 years behind but still way better. 

------------------------

April 5, 2021
In Transit, Arriving Late
Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility.

April 1, 2021, 10:37 am
Departed USPS Regional Facility
AUSTIN TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER 

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

it depends. Technology wise, IRS is lagging well behind the rest of the sectors, private and public.

TH-3

The very same thing almost verbatim is happening to me with my return.

I wish there was a live person to talk with about my problem and concerns.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies