turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If my refund on the IRS website says still processing does it mean I will be audited?

I filed on 01/27/17

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
GeoffreyG

If my refund on the IRS website says still processing does it mean I will be audited?

There's absolutely no reason to necessarily think that you're under review or that an audit is pending, so please don't worry.  The "processing" message you see is perfectly normal.  In fact, the messages and bars on the IRS.gov's "Where's My Refund" webpage change all of the time; and sometimes the same message is displayed continuously.  If it still says "processing" that's actually a good thing.  If your tax return ever is chosen for further review, or an actual audit, then the website should indicate that, and also let you know to expect an IRS notice or letter by mail.  (You haven't observed a message like that, have you?)

Taxpayers who do have their returns held for review, and who expect to receive an IRS notice, tell us that this message appears clearly on the Where's My Refund website.  The behavior that you observe is more likely an indicator that your tax return is simply moving through the processing system.  It could also be that the IRS is checking for additional information on something related to your tax return (like matching your reported W-2 data with that separately reported to the IRS by your employer); but we wouldn't call that a review . . . perhaps only a small delay.

If enough time passes after filing (21 days after e-file, or 6 weeks after paper file), and there is no new information, at that time the IRS indicates that you can call them for additional information, using the phone number provided on their Where's My Refund website.

For now, the best course of action is patience.  The IRS doesn't always move as fast as taxpayers would like (especially when waiting for a refund).

Thank you for asking this question.

View solution in original post

552 Replies
GeoffreyG

There's absolutely no reason to necessarily think that you're under review or that an audit is pending, so please don't worry.  The "processing" message you see is perfectly normal.  In fact, the messages and bars on the IRS.gov's "Where's My Refund" webpage change all of the time; and sometimes the same message is displayed continuously.  If it still says "processing" that's actually a good thing.  If your tax return ever is chosen for further review, or an actual audit, then the website should indicate that, and also let you know to expect an IRS notice or letter by mail.  (You haven't observed a message like that, have you?)

Taxpayers who do have their returns held for review, and who expect to receive an IRS notice, tell us that this message appears clearly on the Where's My Refund website.  The behavior that you observe is more likely an indicator that your tax return is simply moving through the processing system.  It could also be that the IRS is checking for additional information on something related to your tax return (like matching your reported W-2 data with that separately reported to the IRS by your employer); but we wouldn't call that a review . . . perhaps only a small delay.

If enough time passes after filing (21 days after e-file, or 6 weeks after paper file), and there is no new information, at that time the IRS indicates that you can call them for additional information, using the phone number provided on their Where's My Refund website.

For now, the best course of action is patience.  The IRS doesn't always move as fast as taxpayers would like (especially when waiting for a refund).

Thank you for asking this question.

I received this message .. We have received your New Jersey state tax return and are currently processing your request for a refund. However, we may need additional information from you to complete this process.... is this a common message?  Thanks
GeoffreyG

Hi bigjulebigjule:

That particular message from the New Jersey Department of Taxation is perfectly normal, and should be read at face value.  There is nothing concerning in there, and you can assume that the New Jersey Department of Taxation both has your tax return and is processing it.  As the language indicates, though, they will contact you if they need any more information to process your refund.

It's a standard greeting to taxpayers really, basically saying that they're in possession of your tax return, but they have yet to really look at it thoroughly -- which they must by law do before they cut you a refund from the State Treasury.  There is no reason at all to be concerned about this message.  As with your federal tax return, patience with the government while they process your tax returns (and refunds) is the best course of action at the moment.

Thanks for asking this.

--

--

--

--

--

--

--

--

--

--

--
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies