Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Unable to E-file my Indiana state return: two of the four withholding and wage amounts on w-2 statement have same dollar amount

You have 2 w2s with the same EIN. You have two forms so they each have their own control number. The control number is not necessary. You have the same local code on each w2.  Here is what you need to do:

1. Delete one of the w2 forms
  2. Grab a calculator
  3. Add the wages for both w2 forms and put the answer in box 1, 3, 5, 16, 18
  4. Add the box 4 numbers and put the total in box 4
  5. Box 6- add and enter in box 6
  6. Box 17 -  add and enter in box 17
  7. Box 19 - add and enter in box 19

@Wendymichelle87

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Unable to E-file my Indiana state return: two of the four withholding and wage amounts on w-2 statement have same dollar amount

I have entered the W-2s manually.  There are no duplicate numbers anywhere.  How can this be fixed?

I do not have 2 w2s with the same EIN, so this does not seem to be the issue.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

@tgilleland1 To clarify, do you have W2's that are issued by the same company with the same EIN? If so, does one W2 say corrected? If this is the case, then you will only entered the corrected W2.

Also some companies may have issued several W2's because there were amounts missing in previous W2's.  If this is the case, you can combine all W2's into one W2. You will do this if there is no indication that any of the W2's are corrected W2's.

I admit this is confusing and may not apply in your case. I am only offering suggestions that only apply if there are multiple W2's issued by the same company.

If your situation does not fit this scenario, check the data on all your W2's and see if there are numbers that match in boxes 15-20 in each W2.

I have checked all of the items you listed. I have 4 different W-2s  from 4 different companies. There are no duplicate numbers in any box. I have been doing taxes for 30 years and this is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

@tgilleland1  is your federal withholding $0 for all 4 of them? That would be the same number on all 4 w2s.

2 of my 3 w2s have $0 withholding since they are relatively small.  Would this cause an error for some reason?  If so, why?

No I do not have any corrected w2s and only one from each company.  I have $0 withholding for two w2s, which would mean that boxes 15-20 have duplicate numbers.  Why would this cause an issue?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

If you had different employers (and only one W-2 from each of them), you shouldn't have 'duplicate numbers' in Boxes 15-17.  If you can clarify what you mean by this, we'll try to help you.

You are correct that having $0 withholding on a W-2 should not cause an Efile error (only $0 in Box 1, Wages). 

If you uploaded/imported your W-2s, you may want to try deleting them and re-entering them manually. 

Click this link for instructions on How to Manually Enter a W-2

DaveF1006 mentioned duplicate numbers in boxes 15-20.  My state income and local income are identical and my withholding for each rounds to zero.  

I manually input each w2 and triple checked them for accuracy.  No luck.

John G3
Returning Member

This problem showed up again in filing 2021 tax returns this year. Please help your customers by providing a solution that will allow us to efile Indiana state taxes in 2022. Many of us have valid amounts that have prevented us from efiling. Mailing returns is not an acceptable solution given the long time for Indiana refunds filed by mail.

How can I resolve this issue so that I'm able to still Efile?

I am the one who started this thread, and unfortunately, nobody from TurboTax has fixed this or reached out to me for a solution.  I have long since stopped using TurboTax.  I use another company since I am still unable to efile using TurboTax's platform.  I would suggest you start shopping around for a better product.

Sethf1

At this point I’m going to have to. It is ridiculous that this has not been fixed in over two years. 

Has any attempt been done to resolve this error? We are currently receiving  the same error for 2022 with ours and its not a entry error on our part. The amounts entered are the exact same amount for both Federal and State. The same exact amount of taxes were withheld for the withdrawel. Indiana DOR has no issues (that I can find) that this has even been reported by your company or any other individual, which I find strange. Please Advise.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies