Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unable to e-file amended 1040X for 2021

I've prepared an amended 1040X return in TT (download/desktop version), but when I try to e-file it, TT says "it looks like you haven't e-filed your 1040 through TT" and  won't let me e-file the 1040X. But I did e-file my 1040 with the same version of TT, just two weeks ago; I was careful not to download any updates to TT since then and am using the same version that I prepared and e-filed my return with. Why doesn't it see my record of e-filing and how do I fix this so I can e-file my 1040X?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

19 Replies
pk
Level 15
Level 15

@Lizgirlll , since you are using desktop version , I would  (a) first update to the latest level; (b) open the TurboTax  and it should show the filed/prepared return as filed.   (c)  If not then, there is some issue here -- because  when you go through all the steps  of filing and paying ( for the state return filing, not preparing ), then it should ask for you bank details, your id / driver's license etc. etc. and then transmit the return. Once that is done Turbo will close.  You should then receive an email and/or text message telling you of the return has been accepted by the IRS and/or the State. 

If you do not remember having gone through these steps , then you need to file the return.   If that is your case then do not file an amended return, just correct the original  --  open the original, save it  then make changes, save it with a different name ( so you know this is correct one ).  Then  go through all the checks  and file the returns. 

Is there more I can do for you ?

pk

Hi pk,

Thanks for your suggestions; unfortunately the problem persists and TT says I have not filed my return yet when all indications are that I did. On April 18 I had gone through all the steps of e-filing that you describe (paying for the state return etc.) and TT transmitted the return and closed. I subsequently received emails from TT stating that both my federal and state returns were transmitted and accepted.

Today I tried the following: 1) updated TT to the latest version. 2) Opened the same April 18 .tax2021 file that was saved after transmitting. The screen that comes up says: "Welcome back to TurboTax. First let's check the status of your returns," with button to click that says "Check e-filing status now". When I click that, it says "You haven't e-filed a return yet." So I tried e-filing again just to see if it hadn't gone through before, but I got: "Transmission failed. The submission is a duplicate of one that was previously received... Please contact customer support... Looks like we've had a technical hiccup." Then if I go back and click on e-filing status, it still says "You haven't e-filed a return yet," so there is some sort of glitch.

I noted that the original .tax2021 file is 3.1 mB, but after I re-open it with TT, and experience the above message about not having filed, TT saves it as 2.8 mB. Not sure if this has to do with the updated version being more compact or if TT isn't reading something in the original. I retrieved the original 3.1 mB file from my TimeMachine backup and tried again, but got the same thing.

So I'm at a loss for how to file an amendment, which I need to do, since TT does not recognize that I have filed. Or have I really filed?

Any further guidance would be appreciated.

Until you get ACCEPTED message from IRS, you have not e-Filed your tax return.

@Lizgirlll 

Prepare your revised return with any corrections or additional information.

When you FILE that  return, there will be no need to amend.

Hi fanfare,

I tried transmitting a revised (corrected) return as you suggested, but got the same message that transmission failed as this is a duplicate submission. This is in contradiction to what TT says when I click on 'check e-filing status', which says that I have not yet e-filed.

I exited TT and re-opened it, and the first screen is a warning message stating: "Remember, due to unexpected transmission problems, your returns may not have been filed electronically."

Is there a risk that my original return, allegedly e-filed on April 18, was not actually transmitted by TT even though I subsequently got the emails from TT saying both my federal and state returns were accepted?

@Lizgirlll 

The ACCEPTED message comes from IRS even if TurboTax makes it look like it comes from TurboTax.

You didn't say before that your e-File was ACCEPTED.

If you call IRS they can confirm that your return is received. That's about all they will be able to tell you.

@fanfare @pk 

Reporting back after phoning TT Support yesterday and finally getting transferred to an agent at the 'Resolution Desk'. She could check and confirm that my 2021 return had been successfully e-filed through TT and was accepted by the IRS. However she didn't have an answer for why my desktop TT software is showing that I have not yet e-filed, despite taking a close look with me granting her screen-sharing access.

Regardless, she said even if my TT did properly show I had e-filed my 1040, she doubts I could use the desktop version of TT to e-file an amended return.  She said with the TT Online version, you can e-file amendments, but with TT Desktop, there can be limitations and often it's not possible.  So if I need to file an amended fed and state return, I'll need to print out everything and mail it.

I also let her know that the only reason I need to amend my return is that after filing, I noticed that TT made an error in essentially importing one of my 1099's twice. It was imported with two different titles and different dollar amounts, but one was basically a duplicate of the other and thus my income is overestimated. Wish I'd noticed this before filing! At this point I will wait to see if the IRS catches and corrects this in processing my return; if not, I will mail them a bunch of paper! Thanks for your help.

pk
Level 15
Level 15

@Lizgirlll , extremely relieved and happy that you could confirm that indeed you have filed and been accepted.   However, I disagree with the agent that you cannot/ should not file an amended return using  your desktop -- that would be bad , bad. I have done this in the past with no issues and I will try with one of my filed returns  to the point just before transmission and see what happens..

I was going to suggest that if your desktop for some unknown reason ( shutting down TT before  saving the filed return or similarly  erased  / corrupted marker  for having filed ), try telling  TurboTax that you are going to file by mail -- let it go through all the ritual-- so it thinks you have filed by mail.  save, shut down etc.  Now come baxk and  power up your machine, open TurboTax ,  and now ask for amending a return  and see what happens.

On waiting for the IRS to catch the duplicate entry of a 1099, it may or may not catch it --- they always catch missing ones  but are happy to accept your version of an additional 1099 / income.   Suggest waiting for the processing of your filed return to be completed and then file an amended return. 

Is there more I can do for you ?

@pk 

Hi pk,

Thanks for your continued interest and help! I followed your suggestion i.e. try telling TT that I am going to file by mail -- let it go through all the steps so it thinks I have filed by mail.  Save, shut down.  Then re-start my computer, re-open TT.

When I powered up and opened TT, I was at the "Welcome back” screen showing four options under "Manage Your Returns" including: start a new return; amend a return; open a different return; or

get more time to finish your taxes by filing an extension. I chose ‘amend a return’ and was able to prepare my amendment. However, when I tried to e-file it, I got this message: “Unable to e-file. It looks like you’ve prepared a federal amended return form 1040X. It also looks like you haven’t e-filed the 1040 through TurboTax. To e-file the 1040X through TurboTax, you must have e-filed the 1040 through TurboTax. What you can do is to print and file the 1040X by mail.”

Perhaps there is a corrupted marker in my TT so it will never recognize that I e-filed and hence I can't submit the amendment electronically.

I do agree with you that I can't assume the IRS will catch the duplicate 1099 entry, and I will mail the amended return once my filed return is processed. The TT support agent did advise to wait to send an amended return until the IRS has processed the original return as otherwise things can get messy.

I appreciate all your advice, many thanks!

@Lizgirlll 

If you changed your filing option to US Mail, TurboTax is not going to let you e-File Form 1040-X.

Somehow TurboTax has gotten confused about your 1040 tax return.

Hi, I am having same problem (also desktop) same error. Have you had any luck?

@dmch1 

No, I did not find a way to e-file an amended return. The TurboTax agent I spoke to, including granting screen access to look at the problem, told me it usually isn't possible with the desktop version as there are "limitations" and I should file the amended return by paper. That feels like a hassle since the federal + state amended returns amount to 100 pages of paper.

If you should happen to find a resolution, please let me know. Good luck!

You don't need to send all the pages to amend.  And you should be able to efile an amended return from the Desktop program.  

First you need to update your original return with the filing status before you amend.  For the Desktop program you have to check the filing status inside the program. Open your return and go up to menu item

File > Electronic Filing > Check Electronic Filing Status

Then save your return with the status. Go to File-Save.  And then close and reopen the program for it to update.  

BUT I've been seeing posts that the Desktop program isn't updating the filing status.  There might be a problem with that.  So that might be why it won't let you efile.  It doesn't know the original efile was accepted.  

Thank you for the tip! I took your suggestion and when I am at the home screen it says "Status: Return Accepted", as well as when I go to File->Electronic Filing->Check Electronic Filing status. Still says unable to efile. It does appear to be a bug in the desktop program, so hopefully an answer will be released soon. I'll keep trying.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies