Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Unable to delete or zero out amount erroneously entered - Refund applied to taxes

I've read the previous messages similar to my issue, but they didn't address my exact issue.  

I was darting around trying to apply an estimate previously paid a couple years ago to the current tax amount due for SE Tax.  More than enough to cover it.

The amount entered on the wrong screen doesn't allow for entering zero or deleting the amount to negate that entry.

Navigation path:  Personal, Deductions & Credits, 2021 Refund Applied to 2022, $174.  

This is the amount of SE Tax due that I was trying to apply against the overpayment of estimated tax in prior years.  I think this is not the place to enter that.  I've tried to enter zero or delete the entry but no edits to that field are allowed.

I'm stuck on what to do to correct this.

Thank you in advance for any comments made.

This is on my desktop TT app.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Unable to delete or zero out amount erroneously entered - Refund applied to taxes

@clooneyd   

(This is for the Desktop software)

While I have no idea of exactly what you are attempting to apply to where...and for what year is getting all mixed up too, not important for the moment.

BUT

I do understand you want to change that particular entry.

Two things to try  (the second one definitely works, but the first one may explain what the problem is.)

1) For the "2021 Refund Applied to 2022, $174"  ....you might have a "Supporting Details" (SD) worksheet attached to that field.  Try Double-clicking on the $174 to see if the SD sheet pops up.  IF it does, you can change it in there...or delete the SD sheet entirely to get the normal access to the menu field.

2)  IF #1 doesn't works, switch to Forms Mode, and open the "Carryover Wks"   (down near the bottom of the list of Federal forms).   At line 8, in the 2021 column of that worksheet, you will be able to change that 174....just change it to a blank line if you are removing it altogether.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

6 Replies

If you paid an estimate a couple years ago it went on that year's tax return.  I don't think you can apply it to 2022.  You can only apply a 2021 refund that you said to apply to 2022.  You need to get a refund for the prior year return.  Didn't you get a refund?  Do you need to amend that prior year?  

You should be able to zero or delete the amount.  Don't know why that isn't working for you.  You can switch to Forms and delete it there.  It should be on 1040 line 26.

@clooneyd   

(This is for the Desktop software)

While I have no idea of exactly what you are attempting to apply to where...and for what year is getting all mixed up too, not important for the moment.

BUT

I do understand you want to change that particular entry.

Two things to try  (the second one definitely works, but the first one may explain what the problem is.)

1) For the "2021 Refund Applied to 2022, $174"  ....you might have a "Supporting Details" (SD) worksheet attached to that field.  Try Double-clicking on the $174 to see if the SD sheet pops up.  IF it does, you can change it in there...or delete the SD sheet entirely to get the normal access to the menu field.

2)  IF #1 doesn't works, switch to Forms Mode, and open the "Carryover Wks"   (down near the bottom of the list of Federal forms).   At line 8, in the 2021 column of that worksheet, you will be able to change that 174....just change it to a blank line if you are removing it altogether.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Thanks for the quick reply.

1040 Row 26 does not allow edit either.

In fact, no field in the Forms that relate to this amount does not allow for edits.

Further explanation.....Estimates sent in previous years were never applied to tax due as there has been no tax due in the prior years.  Last year the preparer requested partial refund of those amounts leaving 800 "on account".  I would like to leave the residue of the 800 after 174 has been applied.    This return is always filed under an extension request due to amount of time to gather all the data; thus, the estimates being made.  

I'm beginning to think that TT is not programmed to leave amounts on account and not request a refund if no tax is due.   This previous preparer used Theisen software which did allow for this I'm pretty sure due to the way the return from last year.  

Yes!!!  Option 1 worked for me!

Thanks very much.  

Learned something new.  

Please close ticket.

I think if you didn't enter the estimates on the prior year returns the IRS would have automatically applied them to that year and sent you a refund.  Unless you applied a refund to the next year. If you didn't have a tax due you would have received a refund for that year.  So still don't understand what happened.  

@VolvoGirl Thanks for your reply.

I want to have the refund due applied to next year's taxes rather than taking a refund.  

I'm following the same path that has been done in prior years for this return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies