Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a tax offset for student loans but my refund is more then i owe so how long will it take to get the rest of my refund

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Tiki

I have a tax offset for student loans but my refund is more then i owe so how long will it take to get the rest of my refund

Typically the IRS processes refunds within the 21-day window; however, your funds are subject to an offset which may require additional time for processing. We do not have a specific estimate for the additional time the IRS takes to process offsets. 

Please be advised: It is best to use the normal "Where is my refund?" link to track your refund. When the update shows the direct deposit date, typically the balance offset refund will deposit on that date. The status will stay in "processing" until the IRS has completed withdrawing fund for the offset program and releases the balance.  The refund amount will remain the same; however, the amount deposited in your account will reflect the difference between the total refund and the offset total. 

The Bureau of Fiscal Services has the most up to date information on offsets. Please visit the Treasury Offset Program page. For more information on the offset, please see the IRS Topic 23.

View solution in original post

20 Replies
Tiki

Typically the IRS processes refunds within the 21-day window; however, your funds are subject to an offset which may require additional time for processing. We do not have a specific estimate for the additional time the IRS takes to process offsets. 

Please be advised: It is best to use the normal "Where is my refund?" link to track your refund. When the update shows the direct deposit date, typically the balance offset refund will deposit on that date. The status will stay in "processing" until the IRS has completed withdrawing fund for the offset program and releases the balance.  The refund amount will remain the same; however, the amount deposited in your account will reflect the difference between the total refund and the offset total. 

The Bureau of Fiscal Services has the most up to date information on offsets. Please visit the Treasury Offset Program page. For more information on the offset, please see the IRS Topic 23.

i have a ddd of the 10th will i still get my part of the refund then
Tiki

Yes, you should receive your refund on that date.

even if my refund amount hasn't changed i called the offset number and it days one offset of $1000.00 and my full refund is $5000.00
Tiki

It's going to continue to show the full amount. When the IRS releases your balance, that's when it will adjust out.
brookskay

My ddd was today but i have nothing yet. Called off set line my debt was paid today does anyone know when i will get the rest of my money

How do you know it was paid today? When I call the treasury offset it says I may have an offset but no amount was said and then it said from who and to call that number? When I check WMR it doenst have any other code but tax topic 152

@brauliosoninlaw WMR won't show you have an offset (tax topic 203) until your refund bars update to the 2nd bar (approved). Your expected refund amount will also remain the same until the treasury department takes whatever your offset is for. I'm really not too sure if that amout will ever reflect what you will actually get, if anything.
muzy1121

Do any of you guys have an update or know when you recieved your refund last year. I'm in the same boat this year and wheres my refund hasn't updated to the path message yet. Just still says processing.

@muzy1121 did it update yet?
muzy1121

It just says your refund is still being processed. My bars arent there.
muzy1121

Did yours?

It just says it is still processing. Did you ever have bars?

I did for the first few days. Now I have none. Did you? Or do you now? And this is muzy. Turbo tax removed my account saying its under review
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies