Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Type of tax payment

When I withdraw from my IRA , I can request the percventage that they withold (on top of early withdrawal penalty of 10% of course). Let's assume the extra 5% would cover my taxes, so I tell them to withold 10+5 = 15%.

Now, instead of telling them to withold 15%, is it totally the same if I want them to withold 10%, but the rest of the dollar amount for that 5% I go online to IRS website and make direct pay as estimated payment to IRS?

Totally same effect right?

I do not want to submit forms and change my witholding amount in the bank which holds my IRA each time I withdraw something, that's why...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Type of tax payment

maybe wrong. withholding is considered paid equally for each quarter for underpayment penalty purposes or you can elect to use the date(s) actually withheld. but estimated tax payments are deemed paid on the date specified if done online or the postmark date if done through the mail. 

but whether you are subject to underpayment penalties for not paying in enough is subject to the following rules

There will be no federal underpayment penalties if withholding and
1) timely estimated tax payments equal or exceed 90% of your 2022 tax
or
2) timely estimated tax payments equal or exceed 100% of your 2021 tax (110% if your 2021 adjusted gross income was more than $150K)
or
3) the balance due after subtracting taxes withheld from 90% of your 2022 tax is less than $1,000
or
4) your total taxes are less than $1,000

state laws differ

an oversimplified example: say you need to pay in $2000 for 2022 ($500 per tax quarter) and have $2000 withheld from an IRA distribution on say 12/15/2022.

using the normal method $500 would be deemed withheld each quarter so there is would be no underpayment penalty

now let's say you only have $1600 withheld on that date and pay $400 online the same day

now using the normal method only $400 is deemed paid each quarter so for the first 3 quarters you're underpaid $100 and are subject to the underpayment penalty. for the 4th quarter, you have $400 withheld and a $400 estimated tax payment which eliminates any penalty for the 4th quarter  

there is no benefit in using the optional withholding method because you would be underpaid $500 for the first 3 quarters which would result in a higher penalty. 

Type of tax payment

thanks for the detailed answer. before understanding it, i must ask something else but let me return back to my original question first...

both witholding and estimated tax payments are apples to apples and can be added, when considering our total tax payment for the year correct?

my tax liability will be very low anyway, and it doesn't matter for me a 10-20 dollars more payment or less.

Type of tax payment

Withholding & estimates are both pre payments of possible taxes owed on the return.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies