turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax won't let me fix the items I need to fix on my state return in order to e-file my taxes. How can I edit my tax return if it won't allow me to change anything?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

TurboTax won't let me fix the items I need to fix on my state return in order to e-file my taxes. How can I edit my tax return if it won't allow me to change anything?

To edit State Return, sign in to your Intuit Account. On the left hand side, click on Tax Home. Scroll down and click on the Add a State box. On the left hand side under 2018 TAXES, click on State. At the top, click on Your State Returns. You should then be able to edit the State Return that you saved.

Park863

TurboTax won't let me fix the items i need to fix on my state and I paid the 40 dollar to do my state

CassLO
Intuit Alumni

As long as you have not submitted your tax return, you can still edit them. 

To do this, click on State on the left side menu once you are signed into your return. Then up top, click on Your State Returns.  From that page, you should be able to click on the Edit button. If the Edit button is not working, try refreshing the page or log out and then log back in.  

"DawnC Employee Tax Expert"

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rittamerza
Returning Member

What website do i need to go to to sign in and edit my state tax return? there are so many different pages.

EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

You can click on this link https://turbotax.intuit.com/ and at the top right corner as shown in the first image below, is the sign in button. If you click on that it will take you to the sign in page where you will enter your user id and password as seen in the second image. 

If you are having issues with signing into your account, you can use this link    https://myturbotax.intuit.com/account-recovery/ to recover your account with your phone number. If that doesn't work there is a small blue link at the bottom that says Try something else and if you click on that you can locate your account by using your SSN, name, and birthdate. 

If you still can't access your account, you can contact TurboTax Support for assistance by following this link https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

I had the same problem and ended up having to mail my taxes in - the edit tool would only take me to the General Info page of my Schedule C - no specific topics or entries. What is killing me is that I paid the e-file fees (over $100) and was then told my forms needed review. Even worse - the error was simply a zero that needed to be removed since the entry should’ve been blank. I would love to know where I should have looked to get that entry fixed - an hour of searching and trying to get in to my forms was useless.

gheewiz

Same here.  I completed the review and printed to PDF so that I could take a look at the full file.  I want to make some updates and cannot go back to the editing pages to add income, changed div/cap gains info. etc.  It is as if I had one shot to do my return correctly and now I cannot change anything.  HORRIBLE.  There is no "my info" or "State" or "Federal" options on the left side of the screen any more.  Just "Tax Home" and "Documents" and neither of those take me to where I can continue to wok on my return!  Ridiculous.

It isn’t working at all. Every time I try to edit, it auto populates the state in front of the the Employer’s state ID making it more that 14 characters so it wont accept it.

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Did you try clearing your cache and deleting your cookies? Here are two articles that will show you how to clear your cache and delete cookies.  

How to clear your cache - Community  

How do I delete cookies? - Community  

If you continue to have an issue please contact TurboTax support. 

What is the TurboTax phone number?  

@chasekarlos 

Tyler666

What if I have submitted for tax return and it gets rejected but won’t let me fix the error it gave me?

JulieS
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you can correct the error that caused your return to be rejected.

Here's how:

1. Sign in to TurboTax Online and select Fix my return.
  2. On the Let's fix your return and then refile screen, select Fix it now or Revisit.
  3. The next screen will show an explanation of what is wrong. If you don't understand the message, ‌ post it here and TurboTax can help you with it.
  4. Try to follow the on-screen instructions to fix the problem. 
  5. When you're finished, select Continue to File and continue to refile your return. 
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies