turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I didn't know I filed as a "Self-employed." I have a job and am an author. I am wondering: how I can file as not "Self-employed?"

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CathiM

I didn't know I filed as a "Self-employed." I have a job and am an author. I am wondering: how I can file as not "Self-employed?"

TurboTax might have chosen "self-employed" for you if you entered a 1099-Misc for work you did. If you work for someone as an employee and receive a W-2, you are not self-employed. The 1099-Misc "self-employed" income is reported on Schedule C.  You can deduct expenses to offset your income on a Schedule C but you do have to pay self-employment (SS & Medicare) taxes on your net income.  

If you are a W-2 employee, with no other income for your work as an author, then you must go to Schedule C and delete it, see below.

If you received a 1099-Misc for your work (or even if you were paid and did not receive a 1099-Misc) you are considered "self-employed".  

If you need to delete Schedule C in TurboTax Online:
    1. Click on the down arrow next to "Tax Tools" in the black bar on the left of your screen
    2. Click on "Tools" select "Delete a Form"
    3. Scroll down to "Schedule C" and select "Delete" next to it.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
CathiM

TurboTax might have chosen "self-employed" for you if you entered a 1099-Misc for work you did. If you work for someone as an employee and receive a W-2, you are not self-employed. The 1099-Misc "self-employed" income is reported on Schedule C.  You can deduct expenses to offset your income on a Schedule C but you do have to pay self-employment (SS & Medicare) taxes on your net income.  

If you are a W-2 employee, with no other income for your work as an author, then you must go to Schedule C and delete it, see below.

If you received a 1099-Misc for your work (or even if you were paid and did not receive a 1099-Misc) you are considered "self-employed".  

If you need to delete Schedule C in TurboTax Online:
    1. Click on the down arrow next to "Tax Tools" in the black bar on the left of your screen
    2. Click on "Tools" select "Delete a Form"
    3. Scroll down to "Schedule C" and select "Delete" next to it.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies