Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Ton715
Returning Member

TurboTax figured we should have got $4200 on third stimulus we only received $2100. My refund was showing $1799 but IRS adjusted my return and now has me owing $300?

Why am I having to pay back my stimulus when we qualified for the recovery rebate?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

TurboTax figured we should have got $4200 on third stimulus we only received $2100. My refund was showing $1799 but IRS adjusted my return and now has me owing $300?

The IRS sent letter 6475 to each spouse when the stimulus check went out to couples.   If you have a dependent, then you would have received $4200 last year.   3 x $1400 = $4200     And if they split it into two letters    ---    2  x   $2100 = $4200

What does your bank account show?   Did you receive a deposit of $4200 sometime last year?

Check your account online with the IRS to see if the IRS shows that you already received the $4200 last year.  You cannot get it twice.   If you received it last year it should not have been on line 30 of your 2021 tax return.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account

Does the IRS show that you received a $1400 per person stimulus or EIP check in 2021?   Did you receive it?   When you were asked on your tax return did you say no?   Was there $1400 per person on line 30 of your tax return?

If the IRS says you got $1400 per person last year but you did not receive it you can have it traced.

LOST THIRD STIMULUS CHECK

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-round-economic-impact-payment-top...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Ton715
Returning Member

We only received $2100 for third stimulus but should have received $4200 IRS adjusted my refund of $1799 and said we owed $300 which equals the $2100 we received last year on stimulus why are we having to pay back as our income was less in 2021 than 2020. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies