Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TurboTax Desktop 2022 gives conflicting info on whether amended 2022 return may be E-filed. Need clarification.

TurboTax 2022 (Desktop version, Deluxe, for Mac) is giving conflicting information about how to submit an amended federal return 1040-X for 2022.

On the page titled “Nicely Done!”, it says the federal return must be printed and mailed, but the state return may be E-filed. And it says I can expect my refund by check in 8-20 weeks.

However, TurboTax lets me continue to “File a Return”, where it asks if I want to E-file or File by Mail. I can choose E-file, then select the federal return, e-sign it, and click Continue, where it will eventually allow me to Transmit Return Now. And it even says I can expect the return to be accepted in a few days.

I have not transmitted yet, because I am skeptical that it will work.

I looked at the online Help, and it says that Amended 2022 federal returns may be submitted electronically, but amendments of older returns must be mailed. So the Help seems to agree with what TurboTax allows me to do, but not with the original message on the “Nicely Done!” page, which says the amended 2022 federal return must be printed and mailed.  And if I go back to the “Nicely Done!” page, it still tells me the return must be printed and mailed!

I would really like to E-file my 2022 amended federal return. Can I get clarification that this will work before I try it? I am reluctant to try, because of the original message that told me it had to be printed and mailed.

Also, is is possible that this will be fixed in a TurboTax update, so the instructions on the two pages agree? One of those two pages is definitely wrong, so I view this as a product defect.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

TurboTax Desktop 2022 gives conflicting info on whether amended 2022 return may be E-filed. Need clarification.

If you e-Filed 1040 with TurboTax and it was ACCEPTED, you can e-File 1040-X

I believe you only get one such e-File from TurboTax so make sure everything is correct.

@steven_in_oc 

@steven_in_oc 

Did you do it and did it work?  I have the same exact thing happening with TurboTax Desktop 2022 for Mac.   Looks like it will allow me to e-file the Federal even though the instructions say mail.  Very confusing.

If your original 2022 return was successfully e-filed and accepted by the IRS, then you should be able to e-file your amended 2022 return.  If you filed 2022 by mail, you cannot e-file an amended 2022 return; you will also have to send that one in by mail.    Do not send in an amended return until the original return has been fully processed by the IRS.

Be aware that you will have a long wait.  It takes the IRS at least 20 weeks -- or longer -- to process an amended return.

You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies