Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Reel626

Turbotax asks what the amount of my stimulus payment was and now my tax refund is cut in half? I thought these payments were not going to affect our tax refunds?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Turbotax asks what the amount of my stimulus payment was and now my tax refund is cut in half? I thought these payments were not going to affect our tax refunds?

In some cases the TurboTax software assumed that you did not receive any stimulus payment and added the amount of both payments to your refund. Then when you answered Yes to question about whether you received a stimulus and put in the amount of the stimulus, that amount was deducted from your refund.

It is not a tax on the stimulus payment, it was to avoid a double payment.  

Reel626

This a question I'm sure many people have on their minds when seeing this drastic decrease in the refund amount. I was confused at first, but it makes sense. This was poor communication on how these payments would affect all of us when filing. @MaryM428 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies