Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax after re-install can't find .tax18 files

My hard drive needed replacing and the turbotax files ended up replaced on a different directory structure so I moved them to This PC>LocalDisk(C:)>Users>user>
Documents>TurboTax
which is where it seemed to be looking.  And reinstalled Turbotax 2018 but it can't find the .tax2018 files so thinks it has a new return and offers to transfer the .tax2017 files that it is able to find.
So I tried reinstalling TurboTax 2017 to see if it would have the same problem.  Indeed it did!  It can't seem to find the .tax2017 files but offers me to transfer in .tax2016 and start a new return.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

It should be able to find the .tax files wherever they are.  If it doesn't find it there is a Browse button so you can navigate to it. 

Did you try double clicking on the .tax2018 file to see if it opens in the program?

One thing to know.....

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - NEW TAX RETURN)

Then go to FILE -Open and find your return.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

It should be able to find the .tax files wherever they are.  If it doesn't find it there is a Browse button so you can navigate to it. 

Did you try double clicking on the .tax2018 file to see if it opens in the program?

One thing to know.....

After you get the program installed the first thing to do before you open your tax return is to update the program and install any state programs you had. Then open your file. So you first might need to start a fake return to be able to download the state program (go to FILE - NEW TAX RETURN)

Then go to FILE -Open and find your return.

Wow!  New to this forum and can't believe how fast I got the answer--loading the state tax solved the problem!

I know this is an old post, but it is still relevant!! I installed TT 2019 Mac version download, and NOW my .tax2018 file is missing. That happened in one of the prior years too. VERY FRUSTRATING. I have searched my whole computer, and the file is nowhere. Unfortunately, I haven't backed up on a while. UGGHH!

This FAQ has the methods to find Mac files.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/find-your-tax-data-file-in-mac/01/26206

If not found then you must have deleted it unknowingly.    You are out of luck unless you keep an backup or use TimeMachine  to recover the file.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies