Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ercprince

TurboTax 2023 cannot locate on my desktop computer any of my previous year returns. Usually it imports data without any problem?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

TurboTax 2023 cannot locate on my desktop computer any of my previous year returns. Usually it imports data without any problem?

Are you on Windows or Mac?  You need the file ending in .tax2022 to transfer into 2023.  For Windows it should be in your Documents then in a Turbo Tax folder.  Do you have that file?  Search your computer for all files ending in .tax or .tax2022.  If you don't have the main .tax file you might have one that starts with a Tilde sign ~ like "~your name.tax2022". That file is if your computer crashes or your real file gets lost or deleted or corrupt so you can restore it.

Find your Tax file in Windows
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-data-file/help/find-your-tax-data-file-tax-file-in-windows/00/...

Here's an idea. Do you still have 2022 installed? Try opening 2022 program and see if you can get your 2022 return to show up in it. Go to FILE - OPEN. And see if that is the right one.

In the 2022 program do a File-Save AS and give it a easy name you can find or search for. And note where it saves it or select where to save it so you can find it again. The file will end in .tax2022. Then close the 2022 program. Then start a new 2023 return and transfer from the 2022 file.

Are you on Windows 10? That can move files to different spots like to One Drive. Or to Drop Box. Could it be under a different user on your computer?

TurboTax will store all the tax data files and all the saved PDF's, by default, in the TurboTax folder in the Documents directory.  Unless the user of the software changed the default location for saving files.

Are there 2022 tax data files in the TurboTax folder?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies