Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TT2022 State and Local Tax Refund Summary has wrong amount for Illinois State Refund

For TT2022, under "State and Local Tax Refund Summary" it has a pre-filled value saying that for the state of Illinois for Year 2021, I had a Refund Amount of $79.   When, in fact, I owed/paid $69 to Illinois in 2021.

Where is it getting this value?   I pulled up my TT2021 program and it still shows I owed/paid $69 so I don't understand why it says I had a $79 state refund in 2022.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

TT2022 State and Local Tax Refund Summary has wrong amount for Illinois State Refund

There are a couple things that can alter that $$ amount to be different from what you think it should use.

For instance, if there is any Use-Tax on the IL-1040 tax return (line 21), that has to be added back  (i.e. it is not an Income Tax).

Or,  any checkoff donations you may have made in the final steps for the state form...those get added back too  (Line 34)  (though they can then be used as 2022 Federal charity donations) 

Or an underpayemnt penalty applied...is not an income tax..so that gets added back too if it exists (line 33).  (Yes, it is possible to have an underpayment penalty....even with a billion $$ refund)

SO..looking at the 2021 IL-1040 tax form....you paid $69  (I'll use it as a negative number)

.....thus if TTX indicates a $79 refund?

Add together to see if:  ( $69) + line 21 + line 35 = $79?

(not sure if $$ on lines 20 & 22 get involved or not)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies