Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hrg1
Level 3

TT desktop won't let me e-file 2022 amended return saying "E-filing isClosed for the Season" here in Feb 2024

I e-filed my 2022 return using TurboTax desktop last April, 2023. This month, I received an amended K-1 with a simple change on it. They removed the "Final" status of the K-1 and removed the final year deductions, which were capital loss carryovers. I used the same program (TT 2022) and started the "Amend a return" option under "Other Tax Situations" and made the change to the K-1. I continued with the process, which results in me owing money, due to the removed capital loss carryovers, which came off of Schedule D. Then, when I went to e-file the program told me that I can't e-file because "E-filing is Closed for the Season, You Can File by Mail." It further indicated that "TurboTax e-filing closed for the tax season on October 16, 2023."

All other information I have found online regarding using TurboTax to file an amended return indicates you have three years to file and amendment, the original return must have been filed and accepted, and you must use the same version of the program that you used to file the original return, all of which is true. And the IRS reopened electronic filing last month, January 2024. My changes were minor, just changing some numbers on a form, not adding or removing any forms. So why won't it let me e-file?

Anyone have an idea what might be going on?

Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

40 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

TT desktop won't let me e-file 2022 amended return saying "E-filing isClosed for the Season" here in Feb 2024

I suggest you try manually updating your 2022 TurboTax program.  To do so the following TurboTax Help Article:

Manually Update TurboTax for Windows Software

Your 2023, 2022, or 2021 federal Form 1040-X amended return is eligible for electronic filing if the original return was successfully e-filed using TurboTax. However, there is a chance your return cannot be electronically filed. If this happens, you'll need to print and mail your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
hrg1
Level 3

I used TurboTax for Mac, so it automatically checks for updates every time I open it.

And yes, I realize I can print and file by mail. But the return is over 100 pages, so I would rather not. Further, the program is supposed to allow me to file the amended return for 3 years. And the change, as explained above, is relatively minor, with no forms added or removed.

Thus I am coming here to find out why it won't let me in order to fix the problem. I do view it as a problem, since it is not acting as advertised.

Thanks.

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

I do understand that you would prefer to e-file your amended return rather than print and mail it.  My only other suggestion, which is not ideal, is to wait a few days, perhaps a couple of weeks to see if the Mac version of the program receives an update that enables e-filing in 2024.  It is still early in the filing season.

hrg1
Level 3

I will continue to wait and try again in a week or two. That said, I tried 2 weeks ago, then again last week, then again today. And when I opened the program today, it said there were no updates available.

Given the message I get, it seems the program doesn't realize that e-filing has opened for 2024. And if the message is just a canned message for e-filing, then maybe it doesn't realize I'm filing an amended return, thinking instead that I'm trying to file the original, even though I already did (and TT confirmed it was accepted). Just trying to think of reasons this might not be working, from a programmer's point of view, since from a tax-filing point of view, there shouldn't be any issues.

But I will wait and try again to see if an update changes things so that the program works as it is supposed to.

Thanks.

Following. Running into same problem, very frustrating. I will update and try as well. If I get it to work then I’ll post. Can you also do the same?

I am in the same boat here, I am trying to just amend my form 8889 HSA contributions (2022 taxes filed on TurboTax), but it is telling me that I'll need to print & mail the forms. I am just using the web app on Mac if that makes a difference

hrg1
Level 3

@Tax_Confused1Yes, I will post if I get it to work. And I will indicate whether "It just worked this time," or whether I did anything different that may have solved the problem.

Thanks.

hrg1
Level 3

@Tax_Confused1and others: I was able to continue to electronic filing, but only to a point. Once again, I received the message stating that electronic filing had closed. But this time, I was able to "Continue" and it took me to the electronic filing page. I checked all the information was correct and continued. It then had me input similar information for the Pennsylvania State e-filing. It asked for a signature date, which was today, 02/16/2024. So all systems were go, and I got the "Transmit Now" button, until...

It then said that I had to correct my electronic signature date. It further indicated that the only valid dates were on or after 01/01/2023 through 12/31/2023. It will not allow me to use a date in 2024.

I searched the community for whether I should just use a date in 2023, perhaps even my original e-filing date, and found the following thread from last year:

Should I date my signature on the amended return with todays date? Or original filing date? 

This is obviously not a new problem.

It appears that while TurboTax says that you should be able to e-file an amended return for up to 3 years, it then imposes a signature date validation that is overly restrictive. It should allow dates after the end of the calendar year in which the original return was filed, but doesn't.

One reply (by a level 15 poster) suggested using a date that satisfied the validation. I am uncertain whether that will cause any problems with the IRS. I have not tried this yet.

A further thought is that the problem is due to the State tax filing (PA for me). So perhaps we can e-file the Federal return, without the signature date validation problem, and see just mail the State return. I have not tried this either.

hrg1
Level 3

I just tried it without e-filing the state return and the same signature date validation error occurred.

I got the same issue. My TT was updated before I tried to file an amended return - so definitely not an update issue. I reached out to TT  support line three times last week, their suggestions were not consistent depends on who was taking the call - One person suggested me to wait for the opening for the efiling process; but another person told me that the efilling process had already open but it didn't work for 2022 amended return. She also suggested to file by mail which can be very frustrating. I wonder if TT tech support could take a notice of our post and frustrations and could fix the problem.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

You should be able to if you filed your original return through TurboTax, but I am not aware of anyone who has been able to successfully, other than current year amendments.

Can I e-file my federal Form 1040-X amended return?

hrg1
Level 3

Yes @CatinaT1, we should be able to, but can't. While we can get past the "E-filing is Closed for the Season" message using the "Continue" button, the validation fails right before transmitting due to the signature date limitation. It will only allow a signature date in 2023, even though we should be able to e-file an amendment for 3 years.

I am seriously considering using 12/31/2023 as the signature date, even though that could mean the IRS will wonder why I didn't transmit until now (Feb). But printing over 100 pages for a 1040X with a simple change seems ridiculous.

This problem obviously existed last year. (See Should I date my signature on the amended return with todays date? Or original filing date? ) So I'm not sure why the programmers haven't fixed it yet.

I ran into this problem too. I need to e-file an amended return (which was originally e-filed) and got an error complaining that I could not put in a signature date beyond 12/31/2023 in Turbotax Desktop 2022.

signature date wrong.png

I found something via Google: 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/amend-tax-return/unable-e-file-2022-amen...

.png

Unfortunately that page has now gone missing, but if you look it up in Google's cache, you get this page. It looks like this:

Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 17.54.24 copy.png

However, I'm not sure why the page is no longer available live on the site. I would also like to avoid printing out an amended return and mailing it in. Adding my replies to this thread in the hopes someone from Intuit / Turbotax sees this.

hrg1
Level 3

@whereforeGreat find! Wish I could add myself to the list of those who get progress updates.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies