Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TPG stole money from my son's IRS refund

My son did his TY2023 Federal return using TurboTax Deluxe Desktop Edition, completely on his own personal computer.   He entered his bank account information and chose the Free e-file option offered by the program.  The IRS acknowledged his filing, and reported that his refund had been "sent to your bank on April 2,4 2024 for direct deposit".

That direct deposit did not go to his bank.

Instead it was intercepted by TPG LLC.  On the same day, TPG made a direct deposit to his bank account that was $60.00 short of the correct amount.  TPG's webpage claims this as "Tax Preparation and Filing fees".

My son did not ever have any business nor contact with TPG. 

My son did not prepare nor file his return using any online product, neither TPG nor Intuit/TurboTax nor the IRS.  He began an online preparation process, but stopped when it became clear that unknown amounts of fees would be charged.  Nothing was completed.  Nothing was filed.  

TPG's claim to a $60 "fee" for services that Sean did not request nor receive, without notice to Sean, constitutes fraud.  TPG stole that money. 

Intuit:  get my son his stolen money back!

Steve

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Most likely----your son used desktop software with which there is a $20 fee to e-file the state return.  And instead of paying the $20 upfront using a credit or debit card, did he then choose to pay the $20 from his federal income tax refund?   If so, he incurred an extra $40 "refund processing fee" to allow the third party bank to receive his federal refund from the IRS, take out the $20 for TT, and keep its own $40 processing fee.   Next time---tell your son to print and mail his state return instead of e-filing it, or to pay the $20 upfront and NEVER choose to pay from his refund.  There is always an extra $40 ($45 in CA) fee to pay TT from your refund.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

E-filing fee in desktop software

Did you purchase desktop software with state software included?  They sell Deluxe both with and without state software--so you have to be careful which one you choose.  And even if it does have the state software download included, that is for preparing the state.  There is an extra fee to e-file the state. Before March 1 that fee is $20; after March 1 it increases to $25.  You can avoid the state e-file fee if you print and mail the state instead of e-filing it.

What is Refund Processing Service?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies