Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I get back in to file my state taxes ?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Heather14

To file your state return after you have e-filed your federal tax return (and your return has been accepted) you can follow the instructions below:

•     Click on Taxes at the top of the page, then click on My Tax Timeline
  •     Locate your 2016 tax return information
  •     Under Some Things You Can Do (below your 2016 return statuses), click on Add State
  •     You will be brought to a screen that says, Welcome Back (insert your name)
  •     Look at the top of the page, and click on State Taxes to start your state return
  •     After reviewing your completed State return, look to the top of the screen, and click File
  •     Choose to continue to review your order and pay your fees to file, then click to file your state return 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Heather14

To file your state return after you have e-filed your federal tax return (and your return has been accepted) you can follow the instructions below:

•     Click on Taxes at the top of the page, then click on My Tax Timeline
  •     Locate your 2016 tax return information
  •     Under Some Things You Can Do (below your 2016 return statuses), click on Add State
  •     You will be brought to a screen that says, Welcome Back (insert your name)
  •     Look at the top of the page, and click on State Taxes to start your state return
  •     After reviewing your completed State return, look to the top of the screen, and click File
  •     Choose to continue to review your order and pay your fees to file, then click to file your state return 

the instructions are for a prior year and don't match up with my current home screen.  I need to file 2019 state return

@dstratton942 wrote:

the instructions are for a prior year and don't match up with my current home screen.  I need to file 2019 state return

See this TurboTax support FAQ for e-filing a state tax return after the federal tax return was e-filed and accepted by the IRS - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/e-file/help/how-do-i-e-file-my-state-after-i-already-filed-my-fede...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies