turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Shiney2
Returning Member

In desktop Turbo Tax 2017, how can I amend my 540? I am amending 1040, but find no 540X to select in my CA form list. I checked box for amended return in the 540 form.

This MAY be relevant. I paid the Intuit fee to e-file our original return, but TT rejected the e-file presumably because of an override (which was necessary because of a complex error in the 1099 which spouse's staffing agency made and wouldn't correct). So, I printed all forms for filing and filed. Turbo Tax thinks I haven't yet filed, but I did. (Every time I close a return, it tells me it's late to e-file.) How can I determine if this is the issue and work around it?

In any case, Turbo Tax does accept my 1040 amendment, but does not offer me a 540X form to open. In the 540, I check the box "Check if this is an AMENDED return." But that doesn't seem to help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

In desktop Turbo Tax 2017, how can I amend my 540? I am amending 1040, but find no 540X to select in my CA form list. I checked box for amended return in the 540 form.

UPDATED FOR TAX YEAR 2019

To amend your previously filed CA return, you need to prepare a Schedule X (not a 540X).

To prepare the CA Schedule X, follow these steps:

1. Go into the CA return.
  2. On the screen, A few things before we wrap up your state taxes, in the Other forms section, click the Start/Revisit box next to Change a Previously Filed Tax Return.
  3. On the screen, Filing an Amended Return, click the Yes box.
  4. Continue through the screens, entering the requested information.

IMPORTANT:  Before starting, read and follow the California Amend Instructions.  It will make the process a lot easier.  The instructions can be found in this TurboTax article:  Amend a California State return

[Edited | 4/3/2020 |  11:52am PDT]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

UPDATED FOR TAX YEAR 2019

To amend your previously filed CA return, you need to prepare a Schedule X (not a 540X).

To prepare the CA Schedule X, follow these steps:

1. Go into the CA return.
  2. On the screen, A few things before we wrap up your state taxes, in the Other forms section, click the Start/Revisit box next to Change a Previously Filed Tax Return.
  3. On the screen, Filing an Amended Return, click the Yes box.
  4. Continue through the screens, entering the requested information.

IMPORTANT:  Before starting, read and follow the California Amend Instructions.  It will make the process a lot easier.  The instructions can be found in this TurboTax article:  Amend a California State return

[Edited | 4/3/2020 |  11:52am PDT]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies