Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

To amend a return..only needing to make 1 change, do i fill it all out or just the area/question i need to amend?

waiting for months on my stimulus check, KNOWING im eligible under all guidelines. Spoke w a woman thru IRS about month n hlf ago. She wouldnt look into my stuff sid not ask my name but told mr its just a waiting game. Spoke w a man couple wks ago he said i need to amend my return bc apparently when i done it thru turbotax i must've accidently checked "YES" to question 'can anyone claim you as a dependant?' When obviously meant to and should've checked "NO"! Clearly it was a mistake...you cant file taxes and be claimed unless you make under like 5 to 10 grand whole yr. Mine was over that. Anyway i printed the form i need but how do i do it? Do i redo all of it w all same info (bc its just the 1 question needing changed) or do i leave all blank just change the 1 question i had made the error on. Its obviously for this year...2019 return. Ive gotten both state and federal returns back in feb. No changes or anything just need to fix that 1 yes to a no in order to receive my stimulus. Idk how the IRS didnt catch this mistake anyway?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

To amend a return..only needing to make 1 change, do i fill it all out or just the area/question i need to amend?

You are not eligible for the stimulus payment if you checked the box on your tax return that you can be claimed by someone else.  You must check the box if you meet the requirements to be claimed by someone else even if they don't claim you. See this for whether someone can claim you or not: https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/tax-deductions-and-credits-2/family/who-can-i-claim-as-a-dependent-...

If you do not meet the requirements to be claimed by someone else, you can prepare, print, and mail an amended return form 1040X to "uncheck" the box. DO NOT uncheck the box until you start the amended return. Here is a link to help you: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

You should use TurboTax to prepare the amended return. Page 1 of form 1040X needs to show that nothing changed on most of the lines but that you did receive the refund from the original return. On page 2 you need to enter an explanation for why you are amending the return. You could say something like: "I am amending my return because I mistakenly chose that I could be claimed by someone else on my original return and I do not meet the requirements to be claimed by someone else."

Amended returns must be printed and mailed. They can't be efiled. You must print and mail it yourself. In normal times, it takes the IRS about 16 weeks to process an amended return.

An alternative for you is to wait until you file you 2020 tax return and not check the box on that return. The stimulus payment is actually an advance on a credit claimed on your 2020 tax return. You could get it when you file your 2020 return. 

Amended returns are taking about 6 months to process right now due to the 3 month Covid shut down period ... I highly recommend you simply wait until you file the 2020 return to get the stimulus credit.  Mailing in a 2019 amended return may or may not get you the payment this year.  

I have already printed out the 1040x form that I need to amend my return. I assumed while I was doing my tax return via turbotax efiling... That it would have notified me that I haf made a mistake; obviously it did not!!? Not sure why, so now according to the man whom I'd spoken with when i called the IRS  number pertaining to stimulus checks... That was the ONLY thing holding me back from receiving my stimulus payment!!  Under every guideline and rules...I am eligible, but only because I -accidentally-  checked "yes" when i should have,meant,& was supposed to check"no"... Here I am with no stimulus. Even though, about 3 months ago roughly, I'd called the same exact # & it was a woman rep, whom unlike the man(answered all my questions, got to the bottom of the & done his job) she was quick to cut me off in middle of a question or sentence, snappy, no useful info,didnt ask my name or take any info when i offered, basically Im eligible by all the info i gave her,& there was a "glitch" in the system...I would for sure receive my stimulus check just a waiting game. And then hung up the phone without even asking if I needed anything else...nothing! When had she'd done her job... And actually looked into my info...(if she knew wth she was even doing) I could have found out 3 months ago that an error was made, (where it asks if i can be claimed by anyone else i checked yes apparently, instead of no. Clearly a huge mistake, BC i don't even fall under the category to file taxes plus someone being able 2 claim me as dependant as well! I'm pretty sure your AGI # can't be higher than a certain amount( prob less than 10 grand even) & i work a full time 40 +hr job. So yeah..definently didn't mean to check yes. However..if married filimg separately, (& by that I mean literally not together nor have lived together in almost 4 years, but unfortunately legally still married) how does that work if the "spouse" could possibly be claimed? Even though filed seperately, the other doesnt even have any income,period; & I don't claim him on my return nor supply any of his personal info, only the name like it asks? (Obv only my personal info and incomes on my return...? (He never works to file anytbing.. Let alone don't believe he was or had been claimed by anyone at all... But could probably if he was staying with people, unsure. Does or will that affect my eligibility for the stimulus payment? I fall under all guidelines as eligible (& although i am and live singly, legally married, but have no ties together whatsoever...?? Anyone know this answer.. I sure could use hearing something helpful. 

Just now reading this reply. Wow 6 months to amend a return? Im still shocked and unsure as to how turbotax wasnt and never caught the mistake...let alone notify me so I could have fixed it right on the spot before even sending my original return in??! Astounding really. Beyond frustrating that Ive been waiting expecting and checking the IRS stimulus webiste since day 1... When had I known could've possibly had this done taken care of MONTHS back! Not to mention that i paid an extra $70 to Turbotax, just for the extra help,back up,& for them to be available ANY time needed for questions etc. And yet even though the covid19 ordeal, it's all via online yet couldn't and still cannot get Abby help nor replies from them??! Amazes me. I DEF know better for years to come.

No matter which DIY program you use it relies on your answering basic information questions correctly ... in the MY INFO section ... there is no way for any program to know if you answered incorrectly in this section...  there is no way for the program to flag an incorrect answer since all the options are potentially correct .

The program asks your marital status as of 12/31 ... only you know that answer.  Then the following screens determines the correct filing status for you to use.  Then it asks if you can be claimed as a dependent ...  all DIY programs expects the user to read the questions and click on the blue more info links if needed.  It is possible for you to be claimed as a dependent by someone other than your spouse so that is why the question is asked.  

marital status.jpg

MFS live with.jpg

can be claimed .jpgclaim as a depd spouse.jpg

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies