turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

HarryPD

To amend a 1040EZ, that should have been a 1040. Will we need to attach a 1040 or just a Schedule B? My child omitted Dividend Income.

my college age child filed on-line with Free Turbo Tax but messed it up.

First mistake- I claim her as a Dependent she didn't check right block.

2nd mistake - she has Dividend Income = which I assume requires a 1040 or maybe 1040A, not a 1040EZ 

Question is - will we have to fill out a 104 (or 1040A) and attach or just do the 1040X and attach a SCHEDULE B (maybe even a Schedule D. 

I have DELUX CD Version,  she filed with Online Free Version.  Do you recommend I do it on my version by creating a prototype 1040EZ and then doing the 1040X etc.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IsabellaG
Employee Tax Expert

To amend a 1040EZ, that should have been a 1040. Will we need to attach a 1040 or just a Schedule B? My child omitted Dividend Income.

Yes, you can do it that way, by creating a return as she filed it originally in your Desktop version, then creating an amended return, then printing that out and mailing it.

Just make sure that her return was accepted, and that she received her refund before you send in the amended return. Also, if you are claiming her, you will need to file your return by mail, because the amended return that she files won't catch up to the IRS database in time for you to efile, and the IRS will keep rejecting your return, because her Social Security Number is used on  another return.

As an alternative, you could save her .tax file from her TurboTax Online account to your computer, and open it with your CD version, then amend that. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300420

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
IsabellaG
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, you can do it that way, by creating a return as she filed it originally in your Desktop version, then creating an amended return, then printing that out and mailing it.

Just make sure that her return was accepted, and that she received her refund before you send in the amended return. Also, if you are claiming her, you will need to file your return by mail, because the amended return that she files won't catch up to the IRS database in time for you to efile, and the IRS will keep rejecting your return, because her Social Security Number is used on  another return.

As an alternative, you could save her .tax file from her TurboTax Online account to your computer, and open it with your CD version, then amend that. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300420

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies