turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My debit card has my maiden name and my 2017 W2 has my married name. My refund is being deposited on it. Will this affect the refund deposited on my debit card?

This debit card is the one I use regularly. Everything else matches except the last name on my debit card and on the w2. All numbers match like SS#, acct#, drivers license# and etc. I hope this doesn't delay my refund being deposited on it. I didn't realize it until after I had processed my 2017 return. What should I do? Or am I worried for no reason.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

My debit card has my maiden name and my 2017 W2 has my married name. My refund is being deposited on it. Will this affect the refund deposited on my debit card?

The W-2 has no direct correlation to your debit card. You should file with the name that social security has you listed by. If you changed your name due to marriage and have not changed it with social security, leave it the way it is on your return despite the W-2.

If you have changed your name with social security, use your married name. The only likely circumstance will occur if someone needs a form of ID to prove ownership on the debit card, such as your license. If have run into this scenario before, (I never have) be sure to have an ID that matches the name on your credit card.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

The W-2 has no direct correlation to your debit card. You should file with the name that social security has you listed by. If you changed your name due to marriage and have not changed it with social security, leave it the way it is on your return despite the W-2.

If you have changed your name with social security, use your married name. The only likely circumstance will occur if someone needs a form of ID to prove ownership on the debit card, such as your license. If have run into this scenario before, (I never have) be sure to have an ID that matches the name on your credit card.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies