Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The $ stated as what I am supposed to receive for my stimulus is incorrect. For the first round you have $1700, we are a family of five..1200x2 500x3 how do I edit?

For some reason your system isn’t taking our whole household into account? What do we need to do?
Two adults, three children
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

The $ stated as what I am supposed to receive for my stimulus is incorrect. For the first round you have $1700, we are a family of five..1200x2 500x3 how do I edit?

Children 17 and over aren't allowed a stimulus check, are you sure all of the children qualify?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

....as if to imply I've forgotten my children's ages. Really? I paid the upgrade fee for this? Your answer in the form of a question is insulting. I thought we were supposed to have the question and you the answer? Sounds like you should be paying me...

#micdrop

#boom

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

We try to give specific answers which is not always easy to do without see your return or knowing all your personal information. 

Below is the eligibility requirements as written by the IRS:

Q B1. Eligibility Requirements: What are the eligibility requirements for the credit? (added Februar...

A1. The eligibility requirements are the same for the Recovery Rebate Credit as they were for the Economic Impact Payments except that the credit eligibility and the credit amount are based on your 2020 tax year information. The Economic Impact Payments were based on your 2018 or 2019 tax year information.

Individuals who didn’t qualify for the Economic Impact Payments or did not receive the full amount of the recovery rebates as Economic Impact Payments may be eligible for the Recovery Rebate Credit based on their 2020 tax situation.  If you received the full amount for each Economic Impact Payment, you won’t need to include any information about either when you file your 2020 tax return. You received the full amount if:

• Your first Economic Impact Payment was $1,200 ($2,400 if married filing jointly) plus $500 for each qualifying child; and
  • Your second Economic Impact Payment was $600 ($1,200 if married filing jointly) plus $600 for each qualifying child .
    If you either didn’t receive any Economic Impact Payments or received less than these full amounts, you may be eligible to claim the Recovery Rebate Credit based on your 2020 tax information and must file a 2020 Federal tax return.

Generally, if you were a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien in 2020, were not a dependent of another taxpayer and have a Social Security number that is valid for employment, you are eligible for the Recovery Rebate Credit.  Your credit amount will be reduced if your adjusted gross income (AGI) is more than: 

• $150,000 if married and filing a joint return or filing as a qualifying widow or widower
  • $112,500 if filing as head of household or
  • $75,000 for eligible individuals filing as a single or as married filing separately.  

Your payment will be reduced by 5% of the amount by which your AGI exceeds the applicable threshold above.

You are not eligible for the Recovery Rebate Credit if any of the following applies:

• You may be claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer’s 2020 return (for example, a child or student who may be claimed on a parent’s return or a dependent parent who may be claimed on an adult child’s return).
  • You do not have a Social Security number that is valid for employment issued before the due date of your 2020 tax return (including extensions). Some exceptions apply for those who file married filing jointly where only one spouse must have a valid Social Security number to claim RRC.
  • You are a nonresident alien.
  • You are an estate or trust.

Also, individuals who died prior to January 1, 2020 are not eligible for the Recovery Rebate Credit.

See IRS.gov/rrc or the Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet available in the Form 1040 and Form 1040-SR instructions for more information.

Anyone with income of $72,000 or less can file their Federal tax return electronically for free through the IRS Free File Program. The fastest way to get your tax refund is to file electronically and have it direct deposited - contactless and free - into your financial account. You can have you refund direct deposited  into your bank account, prepaid debit card or mobile app. You will need to provide the routing and account numbers no matter which option you choose - bank accounts, prepaid debit cards or mobile apps.”

IRS Source

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Cbennett3

Similar question.  How to edit the amount TurboTax stated is the eligible amount for the 1st and 2nd stimulus checks (it did not take into account 1 child each time)?

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

To edit the amount, return to the Recovery Rebate Credit by following these steps:

1. Go to the search box and enter stimulus. Click the Jump to link.
  2. Answer Yes.
  3. At the next screen, Let's double-check the amount you received, answer No to edit the first-round and second-round amounts.
  4. If no stimulus amount was received, enter 0. An amount must be entered in each box. When finished, click Continue.

Dependents under 17 years old were eligible for the first and second stimulus payments. However, the rules are different for each payment.

To check eligibility, please see:

The first stimulus payment was for up to $1,200 each. Dependents were eligible for up to $500 each.

The second stimulus payment was for up to $600 each. 

The third stimulus payment was for up to $1,400 each. Any missing amounts will be reported on the 2021 tax return that will be filed in the spring of 2022.

@Cbennett3

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies