Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mavery77

The IRS website said I would get around 3600 but my deposit was only for around 2300 wise it’s so much different

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

The IRS website said I would get around 3600 but my deposit was only for around 2300 wise it’s so much different

Are you also due a state tax refund?  If so, could that have been a state refund that you received?

You wrote:  "The IRS website said I would get around $3600."
What does your return Form 1040, Line 20a show for the amount of your Federal refund?
mavery77

So the IRS reduced it from approx. 4511 to 3600 but only sent around 2300?

If you also chose to pay any TurboTax fees out of the refund, that fee bill would be taken out of it, too, but that wouldn't account for that large of difference.

If the IRS reduced your refund, you should get a letter from them in about 3 weeks or so explaing why.  Watch for my answer below which will also tell you how to phone the IRS to ask them about it.
mavery77

Yes the original amount was 4511 then they reduced it and the approved refund amount was 3600 but the deposit made to my checking was 2300

If the IRS decreased your Federal refund, you should get a postal letter from them in about 3 weeks or so explaining why your Federal refund is less than what you filed.  The letter should also tell you steps you can take if you disagree with their decision, including a contact number for you to phone them if desired.  The following help article will tell you a bit more about possible causes, how to check for any offsets, etc.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894477-why-did-my-federal-tax-refund-decrease-after-i-filed

The IRS has said:

"Examples that could decrease your refund include math errors, mistakes, delinquent federal taxes, state taxes, child support, student loans or other delinquent federal nontax obligations, and when the IRS withholds a portion of your refund, if further review is needed."

If you want to talk to the IRS before you receive the letter to see if you can learn anything, here's how:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

• First choose your language. Press 1 for English.
  • Then do not choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.
  • Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".
  • Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  
  • Then press 3 "for all other questions."
  • Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent, but there is likely to be a long wait.
I usually use a speaker phone so I can work on something else.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies