Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

the IRS took away a change the Turbo made to my return, substantially reducing my refund

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

the IRS took away a change the Turbo made to my return, substantially reducing my refund

The IRS will be sending you a letter explaining what they changed and the letter will give information on what to do if you don't agree with what they changed.  The letter can take 6 to 8 weeks to receive.

My issue is that Turbotax changed my info to claim a Recovery Rebate Credit, they must have had some reason for doing so, but they are the experts.  So I don't no how to justify the change, but I thought someone at Turbotax might be able to help me, but I can't seem to get to that someone.  I got the IRS letter but there are many reasons for not allowing the credit, but I don't know what TurboTax did?

That is the list of generic reasons they give if they changed the Recovery rebate credit on line 30.  How much is on 1040 line 30?

Did you not get the 3rd Stimulus payment?  Or qualify for more?  Line 30 is only if you didn't get the full amount or qualify for more.  The IRS shows they already sent it to you.  

When you fill out Turbo Tax it starts out by giving you the full amount you qualify for.  Then at the end you enter how much you already got so you don't get it again.   A lot of people forgot they got the deposit last March - May.  Or missed one payment and entered the wrong amount.  Then when the IRS reduces their refund and they check their bank accounts they have been finding the payments.  Did you see these screens when you filled out your return?  See Critter's screen shots

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/after-you-file/discussion/irs-notice-error-in-2021-form-1040/00/27...

Double check your bank statements and Check your IRS account (both accounts if married)

Your Online Account | Internal Revenue Service

If the IRS thinks they sent it to you but you didn't get it request a trace for a missing third Stimulus payment

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-economic-impact-payment-topic-j-p...

I got the letter from the IRS and the only thing that seemed to apply is that the age of a dependent was to old?  I didn't change my return to request the extra payment, Turbotax did. and I don't know why or can't justify their change?

Did you read my whole post above?  You had an amount on 1040 line 30 for the Recovery Rebate Credit but the  IRS had already sent it to you last  year starting in March 2021.  You tried to claim it again.   Line 30 is only if you didn't get the full amount or qualify for more.   It is none of the 5 reasons listed in the letter.   Didn't you get the 1400 per person last year?  Go back and double check your bank account for last year.  

If you didn't get the 3rd Stimulus check but the IRS shows they sent it to you then request a trace for a missing third Stimulus payment
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-economic-impact-payment-topic-j-p...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies