Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

The IRS sent me a letter stating that they are reviewing my refund. is this an Audit? how long should it take on average?

meagan1:

If you've already spoken to the IRS and Taxpayer Advocate Service, then you'll just need to wait.    Or contact your Congressman's local office in your district to see if they can assist you.

Kjrose87

The IRS sent me a letter stating that they are reviewing my refund. is this an Audit? how long should it take on average?

It is the case, I'm still waiting on mine... The give me a new reason and a new waiting period of 60 days every time the 60 day period expires. I'm honestly starting to think I'll never see that money.
Kjrose87

There has to be come way to fight this. They require we pay them IMMEDIATELY when taxes are owed, but they can give us an infinite number of 60 day waiting periods, during which they just extend the period longer at the end of the previous "review" period. It isn't right.

Kjrose87

But most likely they will cite some reason that the waiting period wasn't due to their error... They pulled some crap with me about needing to verify my identity and gave me a 9 week waiting period, so I'm sure there will be some loophole to get them out of paying interest.

Kjrose87

This is exactly what's happening to me. There has to be something we can do... It's not right,and at the very least we are owed interest that's supposed to have been accruing since April 15th.

I've been fighting this and I agree. I don't want to hear "you'll have to wait" anymore. I've been waiting for 7 months, I'm used to that. I want action. I do know that I will never file early for the remainder of my tax paying days! 

meagan1 wrote:  "I don't want to hear "you'll have to wait" anymore. I've been waiting for 7 months, I'm used to that. I want action."

If you have exhausted your resources at the IRS and Taxpayer Advocate Service (both the national office and the office in your state), you can try contacting your Congressman's staff at his/her local office in your district.  The Congressman's website should have a contact phone number for constituents to use.   Whether that will do any good, I don't know.   If you do, please report back on the results.

" I do know that I will never file early for the remainder of my tax paying days! "

That is very sage advice.   We see such problems every year from early filing.  The bulk of these sorts of problems are from folks who filed in January or early February.    This year was even worse with longer delays because of all the tax law changes, new tax forms/schedules, etc.   Many of us who volunteer in the forum and see all the problems that can happen from filing in early tax season know not to file until late February or later.

I'm in the same boat with every one else.I filed in Feb/2019.. was told my job report incorrect wages and I need to do an amendment. I filed the 1040x amendment  It was received 4/19/2019. I got a letter 7/8/2019 telling me I need to provide proof of residency, proof of my children that I have claimed since they were born over 13 years!!! And also a letter from my employer for my wages .I faxed and mail everything to them between 7/15-7/19 ..Got a letter saying some faxes didn't come through .I mailed everything to ,they received 8/5.. got a letter on 8/1 saying they would respond by 9/28. I called IRS talked to someone..who tells me they are just now working March/April ..and that because of the lay off at the 1st of the year this is the problem..so I said what if you dont get to me by 9/28 ..you guessed it another letter with a new date

Then I called ..another number with IRS per the website wheres my  admended  refund. Rep told me that I should have a letter or have this resolved on Wednesday 8/14. Well guess what no letter in the mail . I called the Tax Advocacy waited on hold for a hour and had to go to work. I need the money desperately. A co worker of mine had to the same issue with our employer reporting incorrect wages. She received her money last month..so I'm just here like the rest of your guys

All of this is so bizarre to me. I am both relieved and frustrated to see that other people around the country is experiencing the same exact issue as me and my other co-workers. I have called the IRS numerous of times trying to get an understanding on exactly why my refund is being held and all I hear is, "the wages reported by your job didn't match the wages reported on your return, so your refund is under review." and the most recent excuse, "you filed before the new tax laws were implemented and now your return is under review." I have sent the IRS copies of my W-2 along with my last check stub and nothing has changed. I was also told about the interest BUT they said that interest is only given to the tax payer IF there was a mistake on the IRS side. I don't care about the interest at all I just want what's owed to me.

This is exactly the same thing that’s going on with me same letters I send my stuff off and same results this is crazy I actually have an advocate that I  am no longer using After today I’m just going to wait they have to send them one day The advocates are the worse 

This exactly everything that’s happening to me I also go an advocate that have gave me wrong fax numbers and more every time I send the information the ask for they come up with more after today I don’t want to talk to them anymore I wish I wouldn’t have contacted them in the first place they just made it worse mine is still just saying processing it’s so crazy 

I was told very rudely once to reach out to my local congressman. I did that today and sent them all the information I had and explained the entire story to them from the beginning. I don't know If they actually help, but I was accepted in January and it is now September, what else do I have to lose at this point? If I find any additional information about this process, I will update you. I hate that there are still so many of us that still have yet to receive a refund. 😣

Hendrix27

Well I'll be the newest post. I filed my taxes in February 2019, and still our family still hasn't received our refund and its September. I have received 1 letter and waited till the deadline. When I called the IRS after that letters deadline they told me they needed additional time, and nothing from me so I'm waiting till that deadline Sept 10 to call and see what's up. I just counted it money in the bank when ever they do send it. But no, if i get another extention from them then I'm calling the Tax Advocate and getting with a tax professional to order my transcripts so WE... can review. Even more frustrating part is my sister filed like late March early April and already has hers...! IRS is backwards. They serve those who filed last and working those who file early. Then the only way to put pressure on them or try to get this expedited is through a department within the IRS the Tax Advocates. They should automatically be assigned to our cases instead of being saught out. All these IRS issues after Trump got billions for a wall! The taxes payers not getting they refunds should be the matter of national security. Dont feel very secure with how this Government entity the IRS is handling things!

Complain to your congressperson ... it is congress that has cut the IRS budget and increased the workload year after year to the point where they are so understaffed that refunds can be delayed like this. https://www.propublica.org/article/how-the-irs-was-gutted

And the ironic thing is the IRS brings in money to the IRS so they have money to spend ... so they cut the budget for the one office that brings in money but increases spending ... no wonder the debt is continuing to rise ... we will never have a balanced budget that way. For every $1 spent on auditors they bring in $7 of tax money ... and that is the department they reduced the most ????
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies