turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My youngest son wasn’t included on my earned income credit and I was wondering if it was a mistake? He was born 12/12/2018 and my other two sons were counted.

My other two sons are 3 and 2. I filled everything on the app and that’s why I’m confused because the paperwork says you can have a maximum of 3 children on the Earned Income Credit. His information is on the other tax forms but he was left out on the Earned Income Credit.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

My youngest son wasn’t included on my earned income credit and I was wondering if it was a mistake? He was born 12/12/2018 and my other two sons were counted.

Make sure you said the baby lived with you the WHOLE year in My info.  You need to say that for a newborn so that you can get the child-related credits for your baby.  Go back to My Info and click edit by his name and fix that if you did not answer by choosing the whole year.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Did you e-file already?  if so , you will need to amend.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I did file already. I’m pretty positive I would have put that he lived with me all year though. I’ll try getting ahold of support tomorrow sometime to double check. I appreciate your help. ??

And you entered a Social Security number?  Is he listed with your other dependents below your address on your Form 1040?

Yes I entered his Social and it shows him as my dependent. On the first page of form 1040 it has all his info but then the EIC and Additional Child Tax Credit he isn’t listed.

Did you use the EIC tool to see how much EIC you should be getting for three children with the amount of income you earned?

The IRS offers a tool to help you estimate your EIC:

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/earned-income-tax-credit/use-the-eitc-assistant

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/earned-income-tax-credit

Look at your 2018 tax return to see the child-related /dependent credits you received:

Child tax credit line 12a

Additional Child Tax Credit line 17b   (schedule 8812) 

Credit for Other Dependents line 12a

Earned Income Credit (EIC) line 17a

Child and Dependent Care Credit line 12     (comes from Schedule 3 Form 2441)

The dependents you listed are on the first page of your Form 1040 below your address.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies