Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dullards

The brokerage firm listed stock gain as short term because they did not have the acquisition date of the stock sold. I missed this and sent in the file. How do I amend?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The brokerage firm listed stock gain as short term because they did not have the acquisition date of the stock sold. I missed this and sent in the file. How do I amend?

First, you wait until the IRS has completely processed your income tax return and issued you a refund or cashed your check.  Only then do you amend.  Since long term gains are taxed at more generous rates than short term gains you probably are due a refund in any case so this is something you don't have to do before April 15.

This FAQ

http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/iq/Amend-a-Return/How-to-Amend--Change-or-Correct--a-Return-You-A...

pretty much guides you through the process.  The long and short of the process, (pun?) is that you go back to that trade and change the date acquired to the correct date, and then you click the blue "I'll enter additional info" button and on the next page change the holding period from short term (per broker) to long term.  You'd think that simply fixing the date will take care of things but it doesn't.  TurboTax uses the sales category used by the broker even if the acquired/sold dates suggest otherwise.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

1 Reply

First, you wait until the IRS has completely processed your income tax return and issued you a refund or cashed your check.  Only then do you amend.  Since long term gains are taxed at more generous rates than short term gains you probably are due a refund in any case so this is something you don't have to do before April 15.

This FAQ

http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/iq/Amend-a-Return/How-to-Amend--Change-or-Correct--a-Return-You-A...

pretty much guides you through the process.  The long and short of the process, (pun?) is that you go back to that trade and change the date acquired to the correct date, and then you click the blue "I'll enter additional info" button and on the next page change the holding period from short term (per broker) to long term.  You'd think that simply fixing the date will take care of things but it doesn't.  TurboTax uses the sales category used by the broker even if the acquired/sold dates suggest otherwise.

Tom Young

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies