Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I file 2017 taxes with information from my 2016 return or from the 2016 amended form that hasn't been accepted?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomK
Expert Alumni

Do I file 2017 taxes with information from my 2016 return or from the 2016 amended form that hasn't been accepted?

“The best place to get this number is from your originally-filed 2016 federal tax return.  Even if you amended it later, you must use the AGI from the 2016 return you originally filed, even if it's way off.”

Use the AGI from the original return.  If you have a copy of last year's original return, you can find your AGI here (depending on which form you filed):

Form 1040 – Line 37

Form 1040A – Line 21

Form 1040EZ – Line 4

Form 1040NR – Line 36

Form 1040X – Line 1, Column A

Please read this TurboTax FAQ for more information about finding last year's AGI: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301618

View solution in original post

1 Reply
TomK
Expert Alumni

“The best place to get this number is from your originally-filed 2016 federal tax return.  Even if you amended it later, you must use the AGI from the 2016 return you originally filed, even if it's way off.”

Use the AGI from the original return.  If you have a copy of last year's original return, you can find your AGI here (depending on which form you filed):

Form 1040 – Line 37

Form 1040A – Line 21

Form 1040EZ – Line 4

Form 1040NR – Line 36

Form 1040X – Line 1, Column A

Please read this TurboTax FAQ for more information about finding last year's AGI: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301618

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies