turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

siborg613
Returning Member

How do I apply my New York tate refund to next years taxes? I am using the downloaded version of TT.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

How do I apply my New York tate refund to next years taxes? I am using the downloaded version of TT.

If you want to add, edit, or delete a NY state refund (overpayment) of state taxes for next year, the section is located in the state area of the program. Please review the following instructions for more information:

1. If you are using TurboTax CD/Download, open appropriate tax return.
  2. On the top, select STATE TAXES tab.
  3. On the Let's work on your state return screen, select Continue.
  4. On the Your State Returns screen, select Edit on New York.
  5. On the Your 2017 New York Return screen, select Continue.
  6. If you have not gone through the NY state tax screens yet, answer questions and select Continue to the Additional Tax Situations screen.
  7. If you have already gone through the NY state tax screens, on the You Just Finished Your New York Return screen, under Other Forms and Voluntary Contributions, select Start or Update on Other Forms.
  8. On the Additional Tax Situations screen, under Other Forms You May Need, select Start or Update on Review Estimates Calculated for 2018 (Form IT-2105). See attached screenshot.
  9. On the Apply Overpayment to Next Year? screen, select Yes. Please note this section may not be available (visible) if you do not have a refund (overpayment) and instead owe taxes.
siborg613
Returning Member

Thank You this was helpful but the only option is the apply the full amount of the refund.  Is there anyway to apply a portion of my NY State refund?

Yes, if you are using TurboTax CD/Download, switch to Forms Mode and select "Estimated Wks" under "New York Individual". You should be on Form IT-2015 WKS New York State Estimated Tax Worksheet. Under Part II Line 1, uncheck "Check to apply overpayment and refund excess" and enter an amount in the box underneath for "or enter amount to apply." You may review and edit this entire Part II section and/or the entire worksheet with your preferences. I hope you find this answer helpful.
siborg613
Returning Member

Thank you, your recommendation was very helpful but when I switch back to easy steps mode, it doesn't recalculate (ie it stills shows the entire amount in the NY Refund field).  Will TT capture my manually entered "reapplication amount" for next year and automatically apply it to 2018 when I file next year?

TurboTax should transfer the amount(s) you manually enter in Forms Mode because it transfers .tax data files (not what is on EasyStep screens): <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2262857-when-transferring-a-tax-file-what-information-carries-over...>. However, you should review and verify all amounts that are transferred to ensure they are correct.
siborg613
Returning Member

Last question, I followed your instructions and on form IT-2105 part 2, I applied a portion of the refund evenly to state estimated amounts (letter C) but when I noticed form IT-201 line 77-79 still shows the entire amount of the refund that will be returned to me (ie it did not update with the info from IT-2015).

IT-201 Line 77 = 2017 total refund, Line 78 = 2017 partial refund (should agree to what you entered on IT-2015 WKS Part II "or enter amount to apply"), Line 79 = 2018 applied refund (Line 77 - Line 78). If this is not the case for you, you should try to determine where the numbers are coming from on IT-2015 WKS.

I can try to review a diagnostic copy of your tax returns if you want (your personal info is censored). For Mac, you would select Help on the top right on the same horizontal line of sight as the apple icon on the top left. Then, select "Send Tax File to Agent" and send me the token number generated.
siborg613
Returning Member

I entered the info on form IT2015WKS part 2 manually.  Token number is: 433065

On IT-2105 WKS, under Part II Line 1, uncheck "Check to apply overpayment and refund excess".
siborg613
Returning Member

That worked.
THANK YOU!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies